The Student Room Group

Making friends at Uni...

So ive had my introduction day and I spoke to a few people but I havent been able to make friends. During the breaks I was sitting alone but somehow other people already made groups of friends. Im really worried that I wont be able to make friends! I live at home and go to a central london uni so this makes it harder.

Im nervous about even attending freshers fair because ill be all alone - I dont even want to go at this point.

Ive never had close friends since in college my friends did a different course and they never made effort to keep me a part of the group even though I tried. So college was lonely for me - I really dont want Uni to be the same!

I know you cant make friends on the first day - but everyone seem to have. I struggle to make friends as I will talk to people but they only remain as acquaintances :frown:

I don't mind being alone but I find it embarrassing. I'd just love to make real friends for once after so many years of just loose friendships who don't even remember my birthday and leave me out on their trips and adventures. Man it sounds so sad but im just looking for some real advice and help so i can resolve this.

I really dont want to spend my Uni years alone.

How can I make friends at University? (btw I dont drink or go clubbing etc) How can I make friends in London? How can I find people, speak to them and just connect with people???
Reply 1
I'd suggest that, when you go into lectures, ask if you can sit with people, then try to start conversation. (Hi, I'm so&so, what's your name? I'm commuting in, where are you staying?) Nerve wracking and difficult to do as it is... good way of getting talking to people! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
So ive had my introduction day and I spoke to a few people but I havent been able to make friends. During the breaks I was sitting alone but somehow other people already made groups of friends. Im really worried that I wont be able to make friends! I live at home and go to a central london uni so this makes it harder.

Im nervous about even attending freshers fair because ill be all alone - I dont even want to go at this point.

Ive never had close friends since in college my friends did a different course and they never made effort to keep me a part of the group even though I tried. So college was lonely for me - I really dont want Uni to be the same!

I know you cant make friends on the first day - but everyone seem to have. I struggle to make friends as I will talk to people but they only remain as acquaintances :frown:

I don't mind being alone but I find it embarrassing. I'd just love to make real friends for once after so many years of just loose friendships who don't even remember my birthday and leave me out on their trips and adventures. Man it sounds so sad but im just looking for some real advice and help so i can resolve this.

I really dont want to spend my Uni years alone.

How can I make friends at University? (btw I dont drink or go clubbing etc) How can I make friends in London? How can I find people, speak to them and just connect with people???

You aren’t alone dude, I’ve always struggled to find real friends as well. If you’re an introvert it’s more difficult, but just try talking to people. It’s a pretty obvious thing to say I know but try talking to people in your lectures, if you are confident try going to a club and connect. In central London there are a lot of people, talk about interests. Be open and communicate what you want to say. I’m sure you’ll find people to talk to
This is literally my life right now. People really have seemed to already make friendship groups. And in lectures, even if you do sit with someone, you don’t really get a chance to talk....
Reply 4
And in lectures, even if you do sit with someone, you don’t really get a chance to talk....

Before/after lectures?
Reply 5
This is literally my life right now. People really have seemed to already make friendship groups. And in lectures, even if you do sit with someone, you don’t really get a chance to talk....

Dont know what to do...I might just rock up to Freshers Fair alone and sign up for clubs and societies and stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
I'd suggest that, when you go into lectures, ask if you can sit with people, then try to start conversation. (Hi, I'm so&so, what's your name? I'm commuting in, where are you staying?) Nerve wracking and difficult to do as it is... good way of getting talking to people! Good luck :smile:

Thank you! I will try my best - hopefully it works out

Quick Reply

Latest