tomcoldperson6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sheila says to Mrs Birling: “you mustn’t try to build up a kind of wall between us and the girl. If you do, then the inspector will just break it down.” I need to explain this quote.
Marni_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I studied An Inspector Calls too, albeit 7 years ago. What is it you're stuck with exactly? What do you think the quote means?
Galila
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I analysed it as a change of character in Sheila as she at the beginning seems to be this typical girl of her time and very materialistic 'now i really feel engaged' shows she didn't feel properly engaged before she got the ring. Although she seems naive and childish, she is still able to pick up on the fact that Gerald wasn't just busy away at the works for that summer and that in fact he was betraying her. So by her saying this to her mother it is a change in character because she is being a bit more open in the way she picks up on things. She might say this because she notices that lying to the Inspector wont get her (or her family) anywhere since her father's money isn't able to get them away with it this time however she might also not want her reputation to be tarnished since she does touch on the themes of social class and construct when saying the quote you gave. She could genuinely feel bad about being one of the people to blame for Eva's death but also she does show a point of self pity and selfishness when she realises why the girls at Milwards were 'looking at her funny'.It does come back to the point that she does still care about herself above Eva. ALSO 'the wall' could be a metaphor for the difference in classes between the Birlings and Eva. 'The Inspector will break it down' may show a sense of her being a little afraid of the Inspector or perhaps his power over the Birlings as there aren't many people who are above the BIrlings and have that much power over them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads