The Student Room Group

Performing Arts- Auditions

Please can someone help me describe what might be required for a range of audition processes? Thanks!
Are you applying for college, uni or drama school?
Are you applying for music, theatre, drama, musical theatre, acting, dance etc.
They are all different.
Reply 2
Original post by henleykt
Are you applying for college, uni or drama school?
Are you applying for music, theatre, drama, musical theatre, acting, dance etc.
They are all different.

No its for my performing arts unit which is based around preparing for an audition and I have to write about what is required for an audition process
So I’ve auditioned for straight plays and musical theatre. So I’ll give the process for both as they are a bit different

For both. you would send off your CV (usually via your agent) and hope to get an audition. It will help if you can get onto arts websites (the main one is spotlight) so you can provide a link to your CV, Headshots, Showreel, Vocal reel etc.

Auditions

Straight play. Usually you would be given sides to learn (usually a couple of days befor). At the audition you will normally be asked to perform a monologue of your choice. If they like you from your monologue they will usually ask you to perform the sides they sent you. Sometimes they do this as two auditions, I.e. they do a monologue for round one and then for a call back send you the sides. From this they may then give you another recall and ask you to perform again. When they have only a few peop left to choose from they may do a workshop style audition from which they choose the final person.

For a musical. You will normally need to prepare two mt songs (1 upbeat and 1 ballad style) you will usually need to bring cuts of these songs as well as knowing the whole song just in case they want to hear it all. You will also need a monologue for many. First round will normally be a dance round where in large groups they will quickly teach a short routine and then you will all take turns to perform the routine. From this they will usually make a cut and those who go through this round will be asked to sing there songs (most of the time they’ll only hear one). Sometimes they want to hear a monologue but not always. They will then invite people back for a recall audition where they will usually send you a song from the show to learn. At a recall you will probably learn a new routine and then sing the required material. Depending on the show there will be multiple recall auditions (for one show i did there was 11 recalls) they may ask the final few to do a workshop style audition but this is normally for brand new shows.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have any specific questions, I’ll try and answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending