dan150999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
R these 2 specialities quite stress free or less responsibility or less life or desth than others?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dan150999)
R these 2 specialities quite stress free or less responsibility or less life or desth than others?
Not at all.

GPs need to deal with a huge load of patients (think 10 minutes slots!!) and it can be anything (contraception, abortion, fractures, dislocations, abdominal pain, headaches etc. etc.). A good GP should be able to decide in that 10 minutes if it's trivial (a cold) or life threatening (pneumonia / asthma etc.); sometimes life threatening diseases can present early so it's hard to make that decision!

Psychiatry doctors also have responsibilities - the scenario I can think of is: patient with risk of self harm / suicide, are they safe to go home? Or a patient with eating disorders etc. etc. There are patients dying in psychiatry too - and because a lot of them may have no physical health problems, in some ways it's more sad.

Just because the work-life balance is better (i.e. the hours they work are more sociable), doesn't mean that things are any easier. if anything I personally would rank GP as one of the most stressful jobs!
dan150999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Not at all.

GPs need to deal with a huge load of patients (think 10 minutes slots!!) and it can be anything (contraception, abortion, fractures, dislocations, abdominal pain, headaches etc. etc.). A good GP should be able to decide in that 10 minutes if it's trivial (a cold) or life threatening (pneumonia / asthma etc.); sometimes life threatening diseases can present early so it's hard to make that decision!

Psychiatry doctors also have responsibilities - the scenario I can think of is: patient with risk of self harm / suicide, are they safe to go home? Or a patient with eating disorders etc. etc. There are patients dying in psychiatry too - and because a lot of them may have no physical health problems, in some ways it's more sad.

Just because the work-life balance is better (i.e. the hours they work are more sociable), doesn't mean that things are any easier. if anything I personally would rank GP as one of the most stressful jobs!
Mmm Interesting, good point. I always thought GP would be less stressful cos just loads of cuts, back pain, colds, sore throats. However I suppose you're right in that any of those things could actually easily be something more serious you have missed. Surely with Psych though if you follow all the procedures properly you know there is no more you could have done. Sadly if someone has their heart set on suicide, they will do it anyway. I do agree about it being extra sad though. So many young people too who you can see a future for but they don't At least you have ages with each of the patients though, don't you? less rushed
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean, GPs in particular will argue against this, but that is the perception yes and lots of trainees choose them for that reason.
Lostx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mmm Interesting, good point. I always thought GP would be less stressful cos just loads of cuts, back pain, colds, sore throats. However I suppose you're right in that any of those things could actually easily be something more serious you have missed. Surely with Psych though if you follow all the procedures properly you know there is no more you could have done. Sadly if someone has their heart set on suicide, they will do it anyway. I do agree about it being extra sad though. So many young people too who you can see a future for but they don't At least you have ages with each of the patients though, don't you? less rushed
TW

Spoiler:
Show

Suicide isn’t sad. People die because they want to die. Mental health hospitals are torture. Everyone thinks that they are doing good by preventing suicide. Just try looking at it in their perspective.
Last edited by Gothic Kitten; 4 weeks ago
dan150999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostx)
Suicide isn’t sad. People die because they want to die. Mental health hospitals are torture. Everyone thinks that they are doing good by preventing suicide. Just try looking at it in their perspective.
I see your point but there are a lot of people out there who have felt suicidal in the past and then once they are out of that dark place they are so glad they never followed through with it.
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I see your point but there are a lot of people out there who have felt suicidal in the past and then once they are out of that dark place they are so glad they never followed through with it.
TW

Spoiler:
Show

I guess so, but is life really that precious? Is life so special that one should wait for the time when things submerse? Feeling ****ty and just holding on is torture. Being surrounded by happy people only makes things worse. Life is full of ups and downs but this is a real major sadness. I wouldn’t even call it sadness. A black hole with everything sucked away.
Last edited by Gothic Kitten; 4 weeks ago
dan150999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostx)
I guess so, but is life really that precious? Is life so special that one should wait for the time when things submerse? Feeling ****ty and just holding on is torture. Being surrounded by happy people only makes things worse. Life is full of ups and downs but this is a real major sadness. I wouldn’t even call it sadness. A black hole with everything sucked away.
Hmm I know what you are saying and I've pretty much been there. I know how it feels but at the same time life is a story. If you feel ****ty a lot of the time it is within your control and things do get better. Things could change at any moment. If there is a particular thing in your life that's making you depressed get rid of it. Only do things which make you happy. Don't compare yourselves to others. I don't know if life is 'precious' but there are still adventures to be had and ending your life, in my opinion, is just ending any potential hope of happiness you have.

I've heard stories of teenagers killing themselves because of bullies. It's such a waste. and I know things were 100% get better for them. If they wanted to they could move away one day and none of these negative influences would be able to get to them anymore. Also heard of someone who did it because of how university was going or something. It's all temporary. You can drop out and still live a happy life. Your life ins't over even though it can seem that way at the time and things like education or your job or how rich you are really shouldn't effect you that greatly. I know it does for a lot of people but it shouldn't and it's so sad people end their lives because of temporary issues they are facing. If someone had a terminal illness for example and knew things weren't going to get better and they're unhappy in their everyday lives and their QoL is effected then I understand how they feel like they have no options and things are never going to improve.

Anyway i might be chatting a load of rubbish because I'm not too informed on the matter but that is just my take on it
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hmm I know what you are saying and I've pretty much been there. I know how it feels but at the same time life is a story. If you feel ****ty a lot of the time it is within your control and things do get better. Things could change at any moment. If there is a particular thing in your life that's making you depressed get rid of it. Only do things which make you happy. Don't compare yourselves to others. I don't know if life is 'precious' but there are still adventures to be had and ending your life, in my opinion, is just ending any potential hope of happiness you have.

I've heard stories of teenagers killing themselves because of bullies. It's such a waste. and I know things were 100% get better for them. If they wanted to they could move away one day and none of these negative influences would be able to get to them anymore. Also heard of someone who did it because of how university was going or something. It's all temporary. You can drop out and still live a happy life. Your life ins't over even though it can seem that way at the time and things like education or your job or how rich you are really shouldn't effect you that greatly. I know it does for a lot of people but it shouldn't and it's so sad people end their lives because of temporary issues they are facing. If someone had a terminal illness for example and knew things weren't going to get better and they're unhappy in their everyday lives and their QoL is effected then I understand how they feel like they have no options and things are never going to improve.

Anyway i might be chatting a load of rubbish because I'm not too informed on the matter but that is just my take on it
Thanks for your insight, it is good to see things in another perspective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.81%
No (192)
76.19%

Watched Threads