Joste
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice if possible.

I am currently in my final year of a PhD at an 'elite' science research institution, and already have a masters and undergrad degree. All of these are in psychology.

Before pursuing a PhD i was considering following a career in law, specifically the bar, but got offered the PhD position at it was too good to refuse. However, i am now plagued by some regrets and am considering making the transition.

A couple of specific questions:

It possible to do mini-pupilages post-university? Getting some form of financial sponsorship seems impossible otherwise.

How frowned upon will my time spent in academia be? - I dont have the specific benefits of a 'hard' science (e.g. for patent work), but i certainly have knowledge (e.g. clinical psychology), and skills (data science, research, writing, presentation) which are not entirely nontransferable.

Much obliged!!
leage_beagle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seeing as nobody has answered this I will give it a go; I have experience of the bar, though not specifically of psychologists. The bar is a place where many careers start at a slightly later stage and there are all manner of people from all walks of life. Plenty of scientists, musicians and everything in between.

Your time in academia won't be frowned upon, and may even be to your advantage if you have used it to develop your critical faculties in a way which you can demonstrate during mini-pupillages and interviews. You are also unlikely to have any difficulty satisfying the academic excellence criterion in selection for (mini and non mini) pupillages.

It is certainly possible to do minis, though many chambers will want you to already be on the GDL (conversion course) as it is tricky to get much out of a mini if you haven't got a clue what's going on law-wise. Your next move should probably be to look into the conversion course, and if you are interested in the bar I think the Inns of Court offer some scholarships for the GDL year which can be useful for easing the financial burden of converting. Best of luck.
Trust Orang
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joste)
Hi all,

I am currently in my final year of a PhD at an 'elite' science research institution, and already have a masters and undergrad degree. All of these are in psychology.

Before pursuing a PhD i was considering following a career in law, specifically the bar, but got offered the PhD position at it was too good to refuse. However, i am now plagued by some regrets and am considering making the transition.

It possible to do mini-pupilages post-university? Getting some form of financial sponsorship seems impossible otherwise.

How frowned upon will my time spent in academia be? - I dont have the specific benefits of a 'hard' science (e.g. for patent work), but i certainly have knowledge (e.g. clinical psychology), and skills (data science, research, writing, presentation) which are not entirely nontransferable.

Much obliged!!
You think you're so smart just because you're getting a PhD to prove it? Well I beg to differ, buddy.
Ridleyxf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don’t assume either that psychology is not “good enough” for IP and patent work in particular. There are definitely some ex psychologist practising, both at the bar and as solicitors.

(Original post by Joste)
Hi all,

Much obliged!!
Joste
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the response! I'm glad to hear that there won't be a negative view of academia. I have done what you suggested and managed identify some places to do mini-pupilages pre-GDL. And thanks for the heads up about the Inns scholarships
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.56%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (74)
41.81%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.91%

Watched Threads