How was you first experience on the motorway Watch

curious312
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have newly passed and iv got so many fears, joining onto a motorway. I have joined on fine before in my driving lesson but with help and not on my own.
Im just so worried if no one lets me on or do people generally allow people leave a gap for people to join on ??
cath_slater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly you’ll be alright. It’s a big thing but once you get on it you’ll realise that it’s not too bad. People do generally leave gaps and move over to let you in
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They generally leave a gap. If it's jammed up solid, then it's jammed and you stop and wait for a gap like any other merge. I've never had to do this myself, but it can happen.

Generally when i'm approaching an onramp point on a motorway/dual carriageway ill move to the right out of the left lane to give space assuming it's safe to do so.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They do usually leave a gap. However, it's not their obligation to leave you a gap to merge in. Always check your blind spot just incase before merging.

Only get up to speed when you've located a gap, if there's heavy traffic and not safe to merge then stop on the slip road until you find a gap.

Finally, when you have located a gap make sure you're up to speed. Nothing worse than having someone on the carriageway doing 40mph because they haven't got up to speed.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 3 weeks ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Twice I've had trouble... once was during a motorway lesson when 5 HGVs decided to follow each other bumper to bumper. And tbh better planning could have solved that. I'm a new driver so not much motorway experience and most of my local junctions you don't actually have to merge... But I've found it ok, just stay calm pick your gap and go. Keep it in 3rd or 4th max so you can easily accelerate or drop back as needed. Watch what cars in front are doing and for God's sake get up to speed. The other issue I had was when the guy in front of me decided to join the m60 at 30mph. That was kind of terrifying as I could see the traffic flying past and realise he wasn't gonna accelerate, so I braked hard to open a gap, then I'm getting beeped at... once I opened a gap I put my foot to the floor and spotted a gap I could move straight into the middle lane (would never normally do that) before the slow guy had merged and just heard all the carnage behind as there was nearly a nasty accident as the guy forced himself in front of a HGV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (137)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
27.04%
Not great so far... (277)
35.83%
I want to drop out! (150)
19.4%

Watched Threads