aarnshn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I’ve recently picked up an EPQ and am clueless as to what topic I should/can pinpoint to research on. I think it’s best if I do a dissertation, but again I don’t know the topic. I’m doing A-Levels; Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and am interested in Regenerative Medicine/Biomaterials/Tissue Engineering. And the I can go on to study the aforementioned fields in Uni with my A-Levels (I don’t have to have biology.).
So can you help me choose my EPQ? It would be a great help.
star1812
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could do something on stem cells? if you are looking at regenerative medicine then it might be good to look at the ethics behind it (ethic questions or medical questions are quite good to get the analysis marks on) I have got an A in mine on juvenile arthritis as I want to study medicine so you can ask me anything
ImAGiraffe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s not specifics to the topics you picked out but based on your subjects I’d say science in general is something you’re interested in. How about something along the lines of the evolution of science, it’s role in society and the impacts it has?
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by aarnshn)
Hi I’ve recently picked up an EPQ and am clueless as to what topic I should/can pinpoint to research on. I think it’s best if I do a dissertation, but again I don’t know the topic. I’m doing A-Levels; Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and am interested in Regenerative Medicine/Biomaterials/Tissue Engineering. And the I can go on to study the aforementioned fields in Uni with my A-Levels (I don’t have to have biology.).
So can you help me choose my EPQ? It would be a great help.
I think stem cells with tissue engineering or something like the ethics of biomaterials such as cardiac stents made with stem cells etc.
aarnshn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by star1812)
You could do something on stem cells? if you are looking at regenerative medicine then it might be good to look at the ethics behind it (ethic questions or medical questions are quite good to get the analysis marks on) I have got an A in mine on juvenile arthritis as I want to study medicine so you can ask me anything
Thank you for your response. Can you tell me what your title was exactly?
star1812
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is the best form of treatment/ management for juvenile arthritis
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
'Ethics' is always a really good starting point for your EPQ if you are lost, as it can give you a clear point to centralise the whole thing around. Luckily this can be linked quite easily to various medical endeavors (stem cells, cloning etc.).

I didn't do a scientific EPQ, but I began at the starting point of an ethical dilemma, then worked things I was interested in into that. I got an A* in the end. It's useful, because it gives you a place to focus.
star1812
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The only thing I will say is that some unis, e.g. Sheffiled, especially for medical related courses, state that if you want your EPQ to help you with a reduced offer then is has to be related somehow to the course. You could definately do ethics, but make sure it is medical related
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by star1812)
The only thing I will say is that some unis, e.g. Sheffiled, especially for medical related courses, state that if you want your EPQ to help you with a reduced offer then is has to be related somehow to the course. You could definately do ethics, but make sure it is medical related
I think it only has to be generally related to your course for Sheffield. I got a reduced offer for Sheffield after an application to do English Lit, with an EPQ on Feminism and Men's Rights Activists (which is more politics than anything else). However, I defo agree with the above that try to link it, at least a little a bit, to your course.
star1812
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by VegetableMarvell)
I think it only has to be generally related to your course for Sheffield. I got a reduced offer for Sheffield after an application to do English Lit, with an EPQ on Feminism and Men's Rights Activists (which is more politics than anything else). However, I defo agree with the above that try to link it, at least a little a bit, to your course.
Yes I agree I just didn't want anyone to make the mistake that my friend has made doing her EPQ on the polar opposite of what she is applying and it not counting towards a reduced offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.9%
No (191)
76.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise