Gdowner
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to study medicine at Southampton, and I will soon be picking my A-Levels (Currently in year 11, finishing GCSEs this year). Aside from Biology and Chemistry (the A-Levels that are compulsory for Southampton's Med School), which A-Levels do you recommend to give me the best chances and should I do an EPQ?

P.s. not sure if it affects anything but at GCSE, I'm taking:
Triple Science (AQA)
Spanish (AQA)
Geography (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Religious Studies (OCR)
English Lang. and Lit. (AQA)
Last edited by Gdowner; 2 years ago
rabz31
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gdowner)
I want to study medicine at Southampton, and I will soon be picking my A-Levels (Currently in year 11, finishing GCSEs this year). Aside from Biology and Chemistry (the A-Levels that are compulsory for Southampton's Med School), which A-Levels do you recommend to give me the best chances and should I do an EPQ?

Triple Science (AQA)
Spanish (AQA)
Geography (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Religious Studies (OCR)
I'd warn against taking Spanish A-level! If you have good English Lit teachers take that instead or Maths. I so regret not taking maths!! I got a 9 in my GCSE Spanish and I'm currently in year 13 doing bio, chemistry and Spanish looking to study medicine in uni next year (hopefully!). I thought spanish would be easy and fun its really NOT, please save yourself the work load and take something that's a lot easier!
Fakz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did Maths, Bio and Chem and I think maths definitely helps with Chemistry because Chem has topics containing exponentials and logs
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gdowner)

Triple Science (AQA)
Spanish (AQA)
Geography (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Religious Studies (OCR)
you should do the one you think is most likely to get you the best grade.
As long as you do biology and chemistry Alevels you can go anywhere for medicine except Cambridge. If you really want to go there do physics or maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads