The Student Room Group

GCSE

How can you deal with the stress for exams ??
Reply 1
I did not discover how to be a 'serious student' until half way through graduate school - which is a bit long!! I used to study like a fiend, and every time - what i studied was almost never on the exam. Instead, a bunch of stuff that i hadn't looked at was on there. Consequently, i did poorly - almost as though i hadn't studied at all.

I finally hit upon the idea of using my lecture notes to cue me onto what the instructor thought was important. I kept track of how long the instructor spent talking about each topic, and how much work they did in talking about it: did they just talk, draw on the board, have prepared hand-outs to give to the students, use view-graphs and an overhead projector. Figuring that instructors don't want to do extra work any more than students do, i figured that the more work, and the 'harder' work that the instructor did, the more important they thought the topic was, i would multiply the time spent by the 'work factor' of what they did.

As an example, say that 'just talking' rated an 'effort' or 'work factor' multiplier of 1 through 3 (depending upon complexity, and that drawing on the board rated 4 thru 6 (again depending upon complexity. Let's suppose that the instructor first talked about topic "A" for 5 minutes (a 'medium complexity' talk). They then drew diagrams on the board (again medium complexity drawing), for 8 minutes. I would multiply the first interval [5], and then multiply the second 'drawing' interval of 8 minutes by a 5 (medium complexity drawing = 40. Adding the two together gives 50. I would do this for each time 'Topic A' was mentioned in the grading period, and total up the numbers. Ranking all the topics in decreasing order, gives a list of the instructor's 'importance' for each of the topics. This is your 'priority list' of topics for the course.

Most tests last about an hour. Estimate how long it would take to solve the average problem. This gives you an estimate of how many problems can be done in the hour. If you estimate that 8 problems can be done in the hour-long duration of the test, make up a list of problems for the first 10 or 12 topics that came out at the top of the instructor's priority list. Include a few extra topics for safety. Make up problems on those topics that include everything that you saw in homework problems or example problems in your textbook or that were discussed in class. Make sure that you can answer or calculate absolutely everything about these topics.

If you do this, you should be well prepared for the exam. Remember that you are always responsible for EVERYTHING presented in lecture, and that just because a problem on a given topic appears on a mid-term exam is NO guarantee that it won't be on the final exam too!! Best of luck!!
You’ve just got to realise that the exams you’re going to do won’t just disappear and you either deal with them or allow them to overwhelm and take over you.
If you’re in year 11 don’t worry too much because you’ve still got time even if the teachers say you don’t.
I’d say don’t allow yourself to forget any content after you learn it- after every test you have and have revised for, the next day or two go read what you previously learnt and on a blank piece of paper write what you can remember and add with a different coloured pen what you couldn’t and keep doing that for everything until exam time and until you don’t need to make corrections and then continue to do exam questions though cgp exam questions or online ones available. That way, when everyone else is trying to relearn or learn the content you’ll kind of know everything.
Honestly don’t stress Ik it’s hard not to but it won’t get you no where- sometimes it allows people to work harder but too much stress could worsen your situation and make you not work hard at all
You’ve got this and sorry if I rambled but I just truly understand what you’re going through because year 11 was one of my worst years.
Original post by Iqra_hussain216
You’ve just got to realise that the exams you’re going to do won’t just disappear and you either deal with them or allow them to overwhelm and take over you.
If you’re in year 11 don’t worry too much because you’ve still got time even if the teachers say you don’t.
I’d say don’t allow yourself to forget any content after you learn it- after every test you have and have revised for, the next day or two go read what you previously learnt and on a blank piece of paper write what you can remember and add with a different coloured pen what you couldn’t and keep doing that for everything until exam time and until you don’t need to make corrections and then continue to do exam questions though cgp exam questions or online ones available. That way, when everyone else is trying to relearn or learn the content you’ll kind of know everything.
Honestly don’t stress Ik it’s hard not to but it won’t get you no where- sometimes it allows people to work harder but too much stress could worsen your situation and make you not work hard at all
You’ve got this and sorry if I rambled but I just truly understand what you’re going through because year 11 was one of my worst years.

have u done ur gcse's ? if so, wht grades did u get?
Yh I did and I’ve just started A levels
I got:
Religious studies 9
English lit 9
Chemistry 8
Physics 8
Biology 7
History 8
Maths 7
Business 7
English language 7
I feel like I could’ve done better in business and biology but the rest I was happy about considering how much time i wasted feeling stressed and really unhappy
Yh I did and I’ve just started A levels
I got:
Religious studies 9
English lit 9
Chemistry 8
Physics 8
Biology 7
History 8
Maths 7
Business 7
English language 7
I feel like I could’ve done better in business and biology but the rest I was happy about considering how much time i wasted feeling stressed and really unhappy

wowww. belated congratulations for such amazing results.. wht topics did u do for english literature?
Aw thank you so much!
I did Macbeth
A Christmas Carol and an inspector calls
And my exam board was edexcel
Aw thank you so much!
I did Macbeth
A Christmas Carol and an inspector calls
And my exam board was edexcel

did u do power and conflict?
Yh I did power and conflict too
Yh I did power and conflict too

do u still have any of ur notes for power and conflict, inspector calls, and macbeth??
I gave them all to my brother :/
But for inspector calls, write an essay for each character and try to get your teacher to mark it until you get 40/40 and then learn the essay
For Macbeth, make a booklet with each act having important quotes, interpretation of what it suggests and the plot and keep answering questions again and again.
And for power and conflict you can’t really do much but truly understand the poems and the context behind it and instead of learning the whole poem off by heart (because that’s a waste of your time) and learning every language and structure feature possible, do loads of practice questions and get into the habit of comparing 2 poems and you’ll begin to learn to use certain quotes that fit with just about anything and keep giving your answers to your teacher no matter how annoyed they get
If he lets me take them or if I find them in his room, I’ll try to send them but I bet he’s thrown everything away :/
I gave them all to my brother :/
But for inspector calls, write an essay for each character and try to get your teacher to mark it until you get 40/40 and then learn the essay
For Macbeth, make a booklet with each act having important quotes, interpretation of what it suggests and the plot and keep answering questions again and again.
And for power and conflict you can’t really do much but truly understand the poems and the context behind it and instead of learning the whole poem off by heart (because that’s a waste of your time) and learning every language and structure feature possible, do loads of practice questions and get into the habit of comparing 2 poems and you’ll begin to learn to use certain quotes that fit with just about anything and keep giving your answers to your teacher no matter how annoyed they get
If he lets me take them or if I find them in his room, I’ll try to send them but I bet he’s thrown everything away :/

thanks alott. i meant if u had any notes on ur laptop or something. xD
Oh I never really made any notes on my laptop 😂
It was mainly on my pen and paper and they weren’t really notes apart from exam question answers and interpretations
Good luck!
Oh I never really made any notes on my laptop 😂
It was mainly on my pen and paper and they weren’t really notes apart from exam question answers and interpretations
Good luck!

Thank you.. GOOD LUCK for the future.x
create a revision timetable

Quick Reply

Latest