SilentSolitaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! Thought I'd start a thread for people who are planning on applying to US colleges this year to discuss applications, SATs, references, etc.

Here's a template if you want to introduce yourself (answer as many as you want to! ):

What colleges are you applying to?:
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...:
Any particular majors that you're interested in?:
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?:
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?:
SAT scores?:
Extra Curriculars?:

If anyone has any resources that they'd like other people to know about, let me know and I'll add it into the main thread!
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, guess I'll introduce myself first!
What colleges are you applying to?: Probably MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, ... I've also put in a UCAS application so I'm not too worried about my choices being hard to get into (and you only get 4 free score reports ).
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Probably the common app but I'm currently working on the MIT application.
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: Maths? I'm probably going to minor in something completely different though.
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: Hopefully MIT.
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs were 6 9s, 2 8s, 1 7, 3 A*s and an A. I'm predicted A*A*A* at A-level.
SAT scores?: I got 1550 on the SAT but only 6,6,7 on the essay (whoops) and then I made choices where none of them needed it so could have avoided taking it (double whoops ). I'm taking level 2 maths and physics in October.
Extra Curriculars?: I do a lot of contest maths and other extracurricular maths, have participated in some computer science competitions, did a Nuffield research placement and have attended multiple maths camps (including some in the USA so guess where I've found out most of my information from? ). I also do maths mentoring and run a maths club at school. Outside of maths, I play piano and clarinet (I play in a church band) and do quite a lot of cooking but I don't have that many extracurriculars so I'm hoping maths will save me... :crossedf:
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck!

:woo: For other applicant threads, please check this huge list of applicant threads HERE :woo:

Puddles the Monkey Could you add this to the list please?
Last edited by nyxnko_; 1 year ago
Somtochi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by SilentSolitaire)
What colleges are you applying to?: Probably MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, ... I've also put in a UCAS application so I'm not too worried about my choices being hard to get into (and you only get 4 free score reports ).
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Probably the common app but I'm currently working on the MIT application.
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: Maths? I'm probably going to minor in something completely different though.
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs were 6 9s, 2 8s, 1 7, 3 A*s and an A. I'm predicted A*A*A* at A-level.
SAT scores?: I got 1550 on the SAT but only 6,6,7 on the essay (whoops) and then I made choices where none of them needed it so could have avoided taking it (double whoops ). I'm taking level 2 maths and physics in October.
Extra Curriculars?: I do a lot of contest maths and other extracurricular maths, have participated in some computer science competitions, did a Nuffield research placement and have attended multiple maths camps (including some in the USA so guess where I've found out most of my information from? ). I also do maths mentoring and run a maths club at school. Outside of maths, I play piano and clarinet (I play in a church band) and do quite a lot of cooking but I don't have that many extracurriculars so I'm hoping maths will save me... :crossedf:
Hey man! Howd it go did you get any offers? In hoping to apply next academic year myself aha
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Somtochi)
Hey man! Howd it go did you get any offers? In hoping to apply next academic year myself aha
I got a place at MIT but I'm probably not going in the end, I didn't end up applying to any others as I got into MIT early action and was pretty busy that Christmas.

Cool, what colleges are you hoping to apply to?
Somtochi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I got a place at MIT but I'm probably not going in the end, I didn't end up applying to any others as I got into MIT early action and was pretty busy that Christmas.

Thats awesome man! I just pmd you now if thats cool.
Somtochi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

If youre able to contact me via pm, i would really appreciate it man! I messaged you a few days ago incase you werent notified aha
EJL:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi! Thought I'd start a thread for people who are planning on applying to US colleges this year to discuss applications, SATs, references, etc.

Here's a template if you want to introduce yourself (answer as many as you want to! ):

What colleges are you applying to?:
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...:
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?:
SAT scores?:
Extra Curriculars?:

If anyone has any resources that they'd like other people to know about, let me know and I'll add it into the main thread
Hi! I'm thinking of applying for class of 25 btw
What colleges are you applying to?: Northeastern, some UCs, Tufts, UWashington Seattle, BC, BU, UMass Amherst, UOregon
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: common app!
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: business/econ... probably concentrating in marketing or business economics
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: nope because i'm also applying to UK unis and i haven't decided which country i want to study in yet!
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs: three 9s, one 8, three 7s, two 6s. Predicted AAA at a level.
SAT scores?: haven't taken yet but i'm hoping for around 1350
Extra Curriculars?: Volunteered at a couple places like an animal hospital, worked a bit as a waitress, some work experience like in a film company for marketing and finance, somehow microsoft stem student challenge finalist and some other miscellaneous awards like a classics civ prize, involvement in music eg school orchestra+choir and did some ABRSM grade exams in piano and music theory (probs my main EC). Also ran a youtube channel (mid-sized) and did cross country/track for an out of school club + competed in some events.
cocoloco979
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by EJL:))
Hi! I'm thinking of applying for class of 25 btw
What colleges are you applying to?: Northeastern, some UCs, Tufts, UWashington Seattle, BC, BU, UMass Amherst, UOregon
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: common app!
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: business/econ... probably concentrating in marketing or business economics
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: nope because i'm also applying to UK unis and i haven't decided which country i want to study in yet!
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSEs: three 9s, one 8, three 7s, two 6s. Predicted AAA at a level.
SAT scores?: haven't taken yet but i'm hoping for around 1350
Extra Curriculars?: Volunteered at a couple places like an animal hospital, worked a bit as a waitress, some work experience like in a film company for marketing and finance, somehow microsoft stem student challenge finalist and some other miscellaneous awards like a classics civ prize, involvement in music eg school orchestra+choir and did some ABRSM grade exams in piano and music theory (probs my main EC). Also ran a youtube channel (mid-sized) and did cross country/track for an out of school club + competed in some events.
Hi, I'm also applying for class of 25. However, how are you planning to fund it, are you with any programmes? Please pm me and let me know!!
nmah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey! I'm an American so if anyone needs some explanation or has questions feel free to ask me
(funny enough I am on here to get help applying to UK colleges)
Eloooot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am currently in year 12 so will be applying next year:

What colleges are you applying to?: Not 100% certain but NYU, Columbia, Duke, Amherst, UChicago, UMichigan, UPenn
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: I am filling out the common app
Any particular majors that you're interested in?: Finance/Econ
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: I think I will apply to columbia early decision since it significantly improves your chances but idk about the others.
What are your GCSE grades/A-level predicted grades?: GCSE I got 10 grade 8's (A*) and at A-Level my most recent prediction (not my final UCAS prediction) is AABB but after my end of year exams and some negotiation they should hopefully go up to AAAA. I am also doing an EPQ that I will hopefully get an A/A* in.
SAT scores?: I am not sure whether I will be able to take the SAT bc of COVID but all of the colleges I want to apply to are test optional bc of covid so idk whether it will be necessary anyway :/
Extra Curriculars?: I co-chair my school's politics and economics society, I am the cheif editor of my school's French Newspaper, I mentor students in younger years and have entered several economics essay competitions (havent heard back yet :/). I have been to lots of finance/econ related lectures and have read lots of books and am doing an EPQ on Microfinance. I have also done work experience at Cantor Fitzgerald and (was supposed to do (don't know if I will be able to bc COVID)) work experience at Fidelity International.

- Colleges have said that SATs wont impact admission decisions for 2021 entry but considering my school don't calculate GPA I don't know what else schools will have to show my grades if i dont take the SAT :/
- If I were to have a GPA calculated, how would it be worked out? Only GCSE's or would it include A-Level predictions???
nmah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Eloooot don't worry about the SAT, schools will look at your grades throughout the years (I am guessing gcse's and A levels, not 100% sure). They use gpa for the US students, but even here it isn't standardized so I wouldn't worry too much about it
bant_bus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I was born and raised in London and go to Columbia on a full-ride (for free). I created a resource to help people like myself, it's called 'How to Get into US unis'. DM me and I'll share it with you! All free, just wanna help as many people as possible
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
What colleges are you applying to?: Harvard, Stanford, Yale
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Yes
I want to do medicine at postgraduate
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: As you can tell by now, no.
GCSE's: 9,9,9,9,8,8,7,6,6 (and A* in gcse further math)
A-Level predicteds: A* (math), A* (chem), A* (bio) and A (further math)
I am also doing an EPQ that I will hopefully get an A/A* in.
SAT scores?: Haven't done them yet
Extra Curriculars? Piano grade 6, school football team, started a recreational basketball and football club at school, trading society, I volunteer for charity tutor kids at school, also have work experience at hospitals and GP's
bant_bus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What colleges are you applying to?: Harvard, Stanford, Yale
Are you filling out common app/coalition app/...: Yes
I want to do medicine at postgraduate
Are you applying to any colleges early decision/early action?: As you can tell by now, no.
GCSE's: 9,9,9,9,8,8,7,6,6 (and A* in gcse further math)
A-Level predicteds: A* (math), A* (chem), A* (bio) and A (further math)
I am also doing an EPQ that I will hopefully get an A/A* in.
SAT scores?: Haven't done them yet
Extra Curriculars? Piano grade 6, school football team, started a recreational basketball and football club at school, trading society, I volunteer for charity tutor kids at school, also have work experience at hospitals and GP's
You should aim for a wider range of college. Those are super competitive, it pays to put your eggs in more baskets. Ensure you have developed unique reasons for why you want to attend those schools
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bant_bus)
You should aim for a wider range of college. Those are super competitive, it pays to put your eggs in more baskets. Ensure you have developed unique reasons for why you want to attend those schools
OK I will apply to a few more but its going to be on the competitive end still.
Do you think the extracurriculars are good enough or not though for Harvard/Stanford/Yale?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OK I will apply to a few more but its going to be on the competitive end still.
Do you think the extracurriculars are good enough or not though for Harvard/Stanford/Yale?
not even close
ry7xsfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bant_bus)
This is very true. But definitely be careful with it. You don't want to be having to write too many essays/applications in a short space of time - that won't help any of them!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
This is very true. But definitely be careful with it. You don't want to be having to write too many essays/applications in a short space of time - that won't help any of them!
Thanks for the advice but honestly I won't apply at all if I don't think I have a good chance to the top ones.

Do you think my extracurriculars are good enough or not though?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice but honestly I won't apply at all if I don't think I have a good chance to the top ones.

Do you think my extracurriculars are good enough or not though?
but UK standards they are strong, by US standards they are not great, maybe you could look into top 20-40 US unis only
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (94)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.21%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.91%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
30.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise