Computer Science Controlled Assessment

Watch
XpertShadow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, so I am a year 11 and I am starting my controlled coding assessment.

How hard is it to pass it? And can anyone help me on how to pass.

Also are there any videos I should watch to be able to pass. Ever since I heard Im starting my controlled assessment I have been stressing out everyday and suffering from anixety about if I fail it which means I won't receive a gcse for computer science.

Thanks for any help/ videos.
XpertShadow
Rep:
?
the language is python
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, for Python, have a look at some of these:

But improving your Python skills is only part of it - the other part is that you need to analyse the problem and break it down into smaller pieces so that you can really understand exactly what the tasks are asking you to do. The key is to divide-and-conquer until and don't try to solve everything at once. start with smaller, simpler problems and try to solve those individually (separate programs) then when you've got all the 'pieces' you can start to fit it all together at the end.

Also look at ways of simplifying it too. For example, if you find that you need to do something many times, start by writing the code which just does that thing once, and then you can add repetition (for/while) later. Or maybe there are going to be extra if/else "rules" which you can miss out. It's important to start small and simple, don't write loads of code at once, make sure you run and test the program every time you write a few lines - it's much faster doingthis than writing dozens of lines of code without running it because that way can lose hours with you trying to fix all the errors.

Also, I don't know what code editor you're using, but if you're stuck with IDLE then you might find you have a better time with PyCharm, which has got more help and assistance for writing code and highlighting errors: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycha...tutorials.html
(Download the Community Edition - it's free)

If you get PyCharm, then it's really important that you spend a few minutes learning how to use the debugger too. the debugger will help you find and fix errors, which will save you loads of time and help you understand what's happening by letting you pause the program as it's running, mouse-over your variables, and "step over" the running program one line at a time: https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycha...thon-code.html
XpertShadow
Rep:
?
yeah we have just been using idle . Thank you so much man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (42)
36.21%
No (60)
51.72%
I don't know (14)
12.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed