I don’t know what to do for my EPQ!!!

Watch this thread
aarnshn
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I’ve recently picked up an EPQ and am clueless as to what topic I should/can pinpoint to research on. I think it’s best if I do a dissertation, but again I don’t know the topic. I’m doing A-Levels; Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and am interested in Regenerative Medicine/Biomaterials/Tissue Engineering. And the I can go on to study the aforementioned fields in Uni with my A-Levels (I don’t have to have biology.).
So can you help me choose my EPQ? It would be a great help.
larajadebear
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aarnshn)
Hi I’ve recently picked up an EPQ and am clueless as to what topic I should/can pinpoint to research on. I think it’s best if I do a dissertation, but again I don’t know the topic. I’m doing A-Levels; Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics and am interested in Regenerative Medicine/Biomaterials/Tissue Engineering. And the I can go on to study the aforementioned fields in Uni with my A-Levels (I don’t have to have biology.).
So can you help me choose my EPQ? It would be a great help.
I had a similar situation last week don't worry, but it would be best to get at topic sorted ASAP. I don't do the exact same subject, but similar principals apply.

I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths at Alevel and I want to study Medicine - My EPQ is based on Sugar Consumption.

Advice for finding a topic:

1) Decide which you would rather do, an essay or an artefact? If your better at forming arguments and writing out long essay style answers - do the essay - TRY WRITE ABOUT AN ARGUMENT WITH BOTH SIDES to maximise marks. If your like me and you would find creating something easier/ more effective - do an artefact - video, notice board, vlog, performance or book or acting, or a model or lesson for children?

2) LOOK AT THE NEWS. Just browse the news pages, look in subject specific sections. I got my EPQ from looking on BBC news - main headlines. Even social media - looking on Facebook or Instagram, on Tabloid and News Apps.

3) Check out TED Talks. Some pretty awesome people who are passionate about there area of expertise make some very good points for research on there. Search your subjects and possible areas.

4) Mind Mapping can often help to get ideas on paper and link things together, outline possible solutions.

I really hope this helps - I used TED Talks, BBC and the Guardian, but other newspaper and news sources will be even better for what you are looking into. Best of Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads