The Student Room Group

Maths A Level Stats Q - please send help!

Hi so I'm trying to do my maths and I've come across the most random question and I'm honestly stumped as to what it is asking. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

1. On planet cube circles look very different to here. A local cuboid tells you that the area (A) of any circle equals 17r^3 where r is the hypotenuese. Astounded at this idea you collect some data to test it. What coding would you apply to A and r? If the cuboid is right, what would the gradient of the coded values you plot be?

2. You are told that on the same planet, house prices P are related only to the number of square windows (S) and have the relationship P=k40^S for some constant k. You get some prices from the local estate agent to test this. What coding would you use and what would be the gradient of the coded values you plot?

3. On planet cube you collect data on the mass (M) of squarrels and the number of vertices on their head (V). You code this using the coding y=log M and x= logV. You find a linear regression exists between y and x and model this using y=1.5x+0.06. Find an equation describing the relationship between M and V. Next day you hope to be the first human to see a squarell with 7 vertices. What do you expect its mass to be?
Reply 1
I only attempted Q3)
For the relationship I got: logM=1.5logV+0.06
For the mass expected I got: 21.26 (3 s.f.) I also took log as log10
Reply 2
Original post by Chakram
I only attempted Q3)
For the relationship I got: logM=1.5logV+0.06
For the mass expected I got: 21.26 (3 s.f.) I also took log as log10

did u get that by substituting into the regression equation? & thanks
Reply 3
Original post by User3737
did u get that by substituting into the regression equation? & thanks

Yeah, is that the right answer?
Reply 4
Original post by Chakram
Yeah, is that the right answer?

I don't have the answers sorry!
Reply 5
I don't have the answers sorry!

Thats fine, thats a really weirdly complicated set of questions. Hope its right
Hi so I'm trying to do my maths and I've come across the most random question and I'm honestly stumped as to what it is asking. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

1. On planet cube circles look very different to here. A local cuboid tells you that the area (A) of any circle equals 17r^3 where r is the hypotenuese. Astounded at this idea you collect some data to test it. What coding would you apply to A and r? If the cuboid is right, what would the gradient of the coded values you plot be?

2. You are told that on the same planet, house prices P are related only to the number of square windows (S) and have the relationship P=k40^S for some constant k. You get some prices from the local estate agent to test this. What coding would you use and what would be the gradient of the coded values you plot?

3. On planet cube you collect data on the mass (M) of squarrels and the number of vertices on their head (V). You code this using the coding y=log M and x= logV. You find a linear regression exists between y and x and model this using y=1.5x+0.06. Find an equation describing the relationship between M and V. Next day you hope to be the first human to see a squarell with 7 vertices. What do you expect its mass to be?

A lot of what's in the questions is superfluous to the mathematics, and is only there to give context/"meaning".

Take 1 for example. You're told that A=17r^3. This is clearly not a linear relationship. So, how would you code A and r, to get a linear relationship? What would you do to the equation?

Have a look in your textbook at the section on coding.

Quick Reply

Latest