EW94160
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I'm looking to start an MA in Film at a difference uni to where I recieved my undergrad.

After the course I want to go back to the uni I received my undergrad and complete a 3 year PhD course.

I have absolutely no clue how PhD funding works. Can my uni fund it for me because I'm alumni?

I already took out a Student Finance Loan for my BA and will for my MA too, I really don't want to take another for my PhD too.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EW94160)
Hi, so I'm looking to start an MA in Film at a difference uni to where I recieved my undergrad.

After the course I want to go back to the uni I received my undergrad and complete a 3 year PhD course.

I have absolutely no clue how PhD funding works. Can my uni fund it for me because I'm alumni?

I already took out a Student Finance Loan for my BA and will for my MA too, I really don't want to take another for my PhD too.
No, your Uni won't fund you because you are an alum, they might offer a small discount on fees.

Either you fund your own PhD or you win a scholarship/funding. There are central research council funds, and opportunities provided by the university. You have to start researching. Your first stop should be the find a PhD website.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EW94160)

Getting funding for a PhD happens a couple of different ways.
-Industry funded studentship ie topic advertised they select best candidate.
-Scholarship awarded by University
-Scholarship from research council

-PhDs and funding are awarded on merit, and normally go too high achieving students who have excellent grades, subject expertise and a strong resume (as you would expect)

-Being an Alumni isnt really relevant, it will help if it enables to help them verify your academic potential or establish a rapport with a supervisor but doesn't really have any effect on the funding.

There is a doctoral loan system, but its a lot of money to add to your student debt, on pretty unfavourable terms and I would not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads