One ethernet port at uni accommodation Watch

olly1369
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
There's one port in my room however I have two devices I want to connect it to. Can I buy a splitter or something to do that or should I just switch?
flossg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
get a splitter. few quid on Amazon
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by olly1369)
There's one port in my room however I have two devices I want to connect it to. Can I buy a splitter or something to do that or should I just switch?
(Original post by flossg)
get a splitter. few quid on Amazon
DO NOT buy a splitter. They don't do what you think they do.

Splitters are designed as a form of dumb link aggregation to increase throughput. They're designed to take multiple cables and treat them as one cable. You CANNOT use a single splitter to connect 2 devices to a single Ethernet port. A switch will do some processing to send packets to the right device. A hub will broadcast traffic to all devices. A splitter does neither, it simply multiplexes.

To connect multiple devices, you need a switch. Luckily they're not expensive, I had one of these and it was perfect.
Last edited by Acsel; 4 weeks ago
olly1369
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
DO NOT buy a splitter. They don't do what you think they do.

Splitters are designed as a form of dumb link aggregation to increase throughput. They're designed to take multiple cables and treat them as one cable. You CANNOT use a single splitter to connect 2 devices to a single Ethernet port. A switch will do some processing to send packets to the right device. A hub will broadcast traffic to all devices. A splitter does neither, it simply multiplexes.

To connect multiple devices, you need a switch. Luckily they're not expensive, I had one of these and it was perfect.
Would one of these be OK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0766D8H..._MSjHDb3EEZE6G
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It'll certainly do the job, although if you're paying £9.99 for that one I'd personally be inclined to just pay the extra £3 for the plastic Gigabit option, or £5 for the metal Gigabit switch. It's just better value, although presumably you won't even get close to Gigabit speeds with the network you've got. By all means buy the one you've linked though, it'll be fine.

This depends entirely on what the 2 devices are of course. If you're plugging in a games console and a laptop for example, you won't care. But if you're plugging in something like a laptop and a NAS, the Gigabit switch is undeniably the better option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads