Between ComSci, Economics & Business, What Should I Drop? Watch

francis.phnn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. I am studying Cambridge IGCSE and will be doing Cambridge AS Level next year. I go to school in New Zealand.

Currently I am doing IGCSE Mathematics, First Language English, Business Studies, Economics, and Computer Science.

My predicted grades for these are A* for Maths, A for English Language, A* for Economics, A* for Business Studies, and A* for Computer Science. My school doesn't use the new 9-1 grades.

I intend take these subjects at A Level as well, however I must only take 4 subjects next year (you cannot do fewer or more than 4 at my school), one must be Maths and another must be English Language. So I have two other choices. I enjoy both 5 and I don't know what to drop. I don't want to drop anything either.

After graduating I intend to apply to study data analytics at Warwick or Imperial in the UK because my interests are computers, statistics, business, and I also like to analyse how political decisions affect the market and businesses.

I know I have to do Maths and English. But for the three other: ComSci, Business and Economics, which one should I drop?? Thanks

I have asked this similar question on reddit. Some tell me to drop Business.

I would also love to hear reviews about these subjects as well.
Last edited by francis.phnn; 3 weeks ago
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
IMO, you shouldn’t drop business as it is accepted as normal by universities and it is quite easy. You’re already doing hard a levels so keep one that’s easy. If you’re not gonna do anything with Computer Science in uni then you should drop that
Storm_Fafnir
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I am am also a student from NZ who has done some Cambridge courses, but only maths through to A levels. Regarding which one to drop, I think it's best to contact the uni about it with the info you gave us, since they can probably give the best advice if you have a good idea what course(s) you want to do. Btw I am in y13 and applying for a UK uni next year too.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by francis.phnn)
Hi. I am studying Cambridge IGCSE and will be doing Cambridge AS Level next year. I go to school in New Zealand.

Currently I am doing IGCSE Mathematics, First Language English, Business Studies, Economics, and Computer Science.

My predicted grades for these are A* for Maths, A for English Language, A* for Economics, A* for Business Studies, and A* for Computer Science. My school doesn't use the new 9-1 grades.

I intend take these subjects at A Level as well, however I must only take 4 subjects next year (you cannot do fewer or more than 4 at my school), one must be Maths and another must be English Language. So I have two other choices. I enjoy both 5 and I don't know what to drop. I don't want to drop anything either.

After graduating I intend to apply to study data analytics at Warwick or Imperial in the UK because my interests are computers, statistics, business, and I also like to analyse how political decisions affect the market and businesses.

I know I have to do Maths and English. But for the three other: ComSci, Business and Economics, which one should I drop?? Thanks

I have asked this similar question on reddit. Some tell me to drop Business.

I would also love to hear reviews about these subjects as well.
Economics is considered more academic than Business studies so if you want to be applying to the most competitive unis in the UK, I would drop Business.

It's a good idea to email Admissions at Warwick and Imperial and ask them, but I'm pretty sure that where they have a preference, it will be for Economics over Business. And you shouldn't do those subjects together as lots of unis consider them too similar - see this statement from Warwick:

Breadth of subjects is valued by our selectors and therefore subjects with significantly overlapping curricula should be avoided where possible, for example Economics and Business Studies.
francis.phnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Economics is considered more academic than Business studies so if you want to be applying to the most competitive unis in the UK, I would drop Business.

It's a good idea to email Admissions at Warwick and Imperial and ask them, but I'm pretty sure that where they have a preference, it will be for Economics over Business. And you shouldn't do those subjects together as lots of unis consider them too similar - see this statement from Warwick:

Breadth of subjects is valued by our selectors and therefore subjects with significantly overlapping curricula should be avoided where possible, for example Economics and Business Studies.
Thanks!!
francis.phnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Storm_Fafnir)
Hey, I am am also a student from NZ who has done some Cambridge courses, but only maths through to A levels. Regarding which one to drop, I think it's best to contact the uni about it with the info you gave us, since they can probably give the best advice if you have a good idea what course(s) you want to do. Btw I am in y13 and applying for a UK uni next year too.
good luck with your application!!
Last edited by francis.phnn; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads