The Student Room Group

Transferring universities.

I currently am studying Accounting and Finance at UWL, however I feel as if I’m not getting good or even the best resources at this university.

I didn’t do so well in my A-levels, I originally intended on attending University of Essex, however due to personal circumstances, I had to choose another university In a short amount of time which was also closer to where I live.

As I’m getting settled into this university, understanding what resources are available and what I plan on doing in the future, I don’t think UWL offers me good support and many career options as it’s not ranked very high.

Now, onto my question, I was just wondering if the whole transferring university after one year is an easy task, and if so, how do I prepare myself to do so. Where do I find universities that accept 1st year transfers? Do I go through UCAS? If I do go through UCAS, do I need to re-write a personal statement? Will my A-Level grades remain relevant regardless of how I perform in my first year?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Lordflacko
I currently am studying Accounting and Finance at UWL, however I feel as if I’m not getting good or even the best resources at this university.

I didn’t do so well in my A-levels, I originally intended on attending University of Essex, however due to personal circumstances, I had to choose another university In a short amount of time which was also closer to where I live.

As I’m getting settled into this university, understanding what resources are available and what I plan on doing in the future, I don’t think UWL offers me good support and many career options as it’s not ranked very high.

Now, onto my question, I was just wondering if the whole transferring university after one year is an easy task, and if so, how do I prepare myself to do so. Where do I find universities that accept 1st year transfers? Do I go through UCAS? If I do go through UCAS, do I need to re-write a personal statement? Will my A-Level grades remain relevant regardless of how I perform in my first year?

Thanks in advance.

The first thing you need to do is identify the uni you want to transfer to - which seems to be Essex, and email their Admissions office to ask whether a transfer would be possible. If it is, they will guide you through the process (which normally does involve another UCAS application) but be warned that they may only accept transfers from people who have the A levels grades they were originally asking for.
Reply 2
Original post by Lordflacko

Thanks in advance.

By 1st year transfer do you mean starting from 1st year or a 1st year going into 2nd year?

If you are transferring unis and going into 2nd year, you need to check that the modules for 1st year were the same otherwise they will make you repeat the year.

If you are transferring unis but are still in 1st year then, do as the above post suggested
Original post by Hello34
By 1st year transfer do you mean starting from 1st year or a 1st year going into 2nd year?

If you are transferring unis and going into 2nd year, you need to check that the modules for 1st year were the same otherwise they will make you repeat the year.

If you are transferring unis but are still in 1st year then, do as the above post suggested

Applicants don’t check modules for compatibility - that’s something done by the university (usually after applying).

Whether OP wants to restart first year or apply to continue into second year in 2020 the advice in post 2 applies.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Applicants don’t check modules for compatibility - that’s something done by the university (usually after applying)

Not sure what you mean but I was told that say for example, a Law student wants to transfer then they need to check that the university they want to go to and the University they are in now have the same first year modules otherwise they wont have the right credits to transfer.

Ultimately they could leave it up to the university to check the module compatibility but the way I was told sounds shorter
Original post by Hello34
Not sure what you mean but I was told that say for example, a Law student wants to transfer then they need to check that the university they want to go to and the University they are in now have the same first year modules otherwise they wont have the right credits to transfer.

Ultimately they could leave it up to the university to check the module compatibility but the way I was told sounds shorter

OP could do an initial check to ascertain whether the modules look the same (or very similar) However, the new uni will do their own check on module compatability and it is up to them to decide whether they are compatible enough to allow someone to transfer into Year 2.
Original post by Hello34

Universities have to check for compatibility. An applicant needs to apply for similar courses (ideally with mostly similar modules) but an applicant is not qualified to make a judgment on whether the modules they’ve taken are equal and compatible to the first year of another course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending