The Student Room Group

Do you have to explain the reason why you’re suffering with anxiety?

Hi, so I’ve been suffering with constantly anxiety, ranging from just paranoia about unlikely situations to full-blown anxiety attacks for the last year and a half.

I’m fed up of being constantly feeling anxious and paranoid, it’s really starting to affect my life, from struggling to concentrate to not being motivated to pursue romantic relationships.

The reasons behind my anxiety stem from a really personal worry of mine.

If I were to go to my GP, would I need to explain exactly why I’m feeling anxious to get help, preferably anti-anxiety medication?
Hi I also have anxiety but it's moderate anxiety, I think the best thing to do is to talk to a therapist and actually go to regular therapy sessions. My anxiety is affecting my speech (i have selective mutism) and self-esteem.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I also have anxiety but it's moderate anxiety, I think the best thing to do is to talk to a therapist and actually go to regular therapy sessions. My anxiety is affecting my speech (i have selective mutism) and self-esteem.

This is going to sound silly and not very helpful to my issue but I don’t really want to talk about the worries, I just want to feel better.

I seriously doubt talking about them is going to make me magically feel better, if anything it’ll make me worse.

I do really appreciate the response though, thank you
Hi!

I am sorry to hear what you are going through, during your GP appointment mainly describe what impact the anxiety has to you and when it gets set off.

I would recommend getting into some therapy alongside the medication, you don't necessarily need to talk about the root cause but perhaps the impact on your life and it can be really helpful for learning coping techniques when the panic does hit. They cant make you talk about anything you are uncomfortable with.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
you will need to tell your GP why you're experiencing anxiety, but you don't need to give them every detail. it probably won't be a very long/deep conversation. why does this worry you?
Reply 5
Hi, so I’ve been suffering with constantly anxiety, ranging from just paranoia about unlikely situations to full-blown anxiety attacks for the last year and a half.

I’m fed up of being constantly feeling anxious and paranoid, it’s really starting to affect my life, from struggling to concentrate to not being motivated to pursue romantic relationships.

The reasons behind my anxiety stem from a really personal worry of mine.

If I were to go to my GP, would I need to explain exactly why I’m feeling anxious to get help, preferably anti-anxiety medication?

your gp won't prescribe you anti anxiety meds. just antidepressants. they're stupid like that.
i'm regularly seeing a private doctor to get actual anti anxiety meds though. he doesn't know the exact 'reason' for my anxiety/insomnia, all he knows is it's past trauma related. so yeah you don't need to explain in detail, doctors aren't counselors.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Joleee
you will need to tell your GP why you're experiencing anxiety, but you don't need to give them every detail. it probably won't be a very long/deep conversation. why does this worry you?

The things I’m mainly paranoid about are really illogical and personal, so I don’t really want to have to go into them with my doctor at this point. Maybe eventually I’ll have to consider therapy/counselling but for now I’d just like some medication to help the constantly anxiety.
No. A lot of people won’t know where their anxiety stems from. You will never have to reveal anything that you don’t want to, but it may help your recovery. Do things at your own pace. Please don’t worry about that and go to your GP.
Reply 8
The things I’m mainly paranoid about are really illogical and personal, so I don’t really want to have to go into them with my doctor at this point. Maybe eventually I’ll have to consider therapy/counselling but for now I’d just like some medication to help the constantly anxiety.

when you meet with your GP it won't be a counselling session, indeed far from it. last time i saw a doc i think i explained the cause of my anxiety in 10 seconds (domestic abuse, done.). they will need to know a bit of your history tho so they can evaluate appropriate treatment (counselling referral, maybe) and you want them to know because if you ever need medical evidence, say for school or to claim disability, your doctor is the one who backs up your claim.

anxiety is illogical by definition; it goes hand-in-hand like a virus and cold. so don't worry your GP will think you're illogical. i would hope they expect it.

Quick Reply

Latest