studyingmusic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm applying for Music at Oxford. A requirement of the application for Music is submission of two teacher-marked essays. I've been in touch with admissions and they mentioned that I could submit an essay on a different subject to the one I'm applying for (it says this on the website too) as well as a Music essay.

My question is, would it be a bad idea to submit an English essay alongside a Music one for a Music application? My friend said they might see this negatively and question why I am applying for Music if I'm submitting an English essay as well, but surely if they mention this as an option on the website it wouldn't negatively impact my application? Of course I want my application to be as strong as possible and give myself the best chance of getting an offer from Oxford. Additionally, what are Music admissions tutors expecting in terms of the essays submitted - what kind of subjects should they be on and in what format? Submitting a Music A Level (Edexcel) essay seems very basic compared to the quality of work Oxford would expect but I am struggling to find other essay titles to work from.

Thank you
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by studyingmusic)
I'm applying for Music at Oxford. A requirement of the application for Music is submission of two teacher-marked essays. I've been in touch with admissions and they mentioned that I could submit an essay on a different subject to the one I'm applying for (it says this on the website too) as well as a Music essay.

My question is, would it be a bad idea to submit an English essay alongside a Music one for a Music application? My friend said they might see this negatively and question why I am applying for Music if I'm submitting an English essay as well, but surely if they mention this as an option on the website it wouldn't negatively impact my application? Of course I want my application to be as strong as possible and give myself the best chance of getting an offer from Oxford. Additionally, what are Music admissions tutors expecting in terms of the essays submitted - what kind of subjects should they be on and in what format? Submitting a Music A Level (Edexcel) essay seems very basic compared to the quality of work Oxford would expect but I am struggling to find other essay titles to work from.

Thank you
The_Lonely_Goatherd
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by studyingmusic)

Thank you
Thanks for the tag, OxMum!

Hi studyingmusic ! I'm the resident Oxford muso alumna (2007-2010) on here!

I wanna reassure you that sending an English essay alongside a music one is absolutely the right thing to do. It'll show off your writing skills better, and won't count against you in the slightest. When I applied in 2006, I sent an English essay about an Irish play called Translations that we were studying, as well as a music essay that I especially wrote for Oxford admissions (you're not supposed to do that but providing your teachers rubber-stamp it and mark it, they shouldn't be able to tell that :ninja: ).

While the English essay didn't come up in my interviews at all, not only had the second college tutor for music at my chosen college (Worcester/Woosta) actually read it at the time - but she could remember things about it 3-4 years later! :eek: So it must have impressed her :yep:

With regards to the music essay, whether or not you choose to submit an existing essay or be sneaky and write one especially, it should be a topic that you're familiar with and confident discussing. For example, the only music essays I had at the time were about Louis Armstrong and jazz isn't my area, so I wouldn't have been able to have a discussion at interview on that! So that wouldn't have been a good call :nope:

Hope this info helps - any questions, do feel free to PM me or ask here
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Thanks for the tag, OxMum!

Hi studyingmusic ! I'm the resident Oxford muso alumna (2007-2010) on here!

I wanna reassure you that sending an English essay alongside a music one is absolutely the right thing to do. It'll show off your writing skills better, and won't count against you in the slightest. When I applied in 2006, I sent an English essay about an Irish play called Translations that we were studying, as well as a music essay that I especially wrote for Oxford admissions (you're not supposed to do that but providing your teachers rubber-stamp it and mark it, they shouldn't be able to tell that :ninja: ).

While the English essay didn't come up in my interviews at all, not only had the second college tutor for music at my chosen college (Worcester/Woosta) actually read it at the time - but she could remember things about it 3-4 years later! :eek: So it must have impressed her :yep:

With regards to the music essay, whether or not you choose to submit an existing essay or be sneaky and write one especially, it should be a topic that you're familiar with and confident discussing. For example, the only music essays I had at the time were about Louis Armstrong and jazz isn't my area, so I wouldn't have been able to have a discussion at interview on that! So that wouldn't have been a good call :nope:

Hope this info helps - any questions, do feel free to PM me or ask here
The_Lonely_Goatherd I knew you would ace this answer!!!
krinyapajti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Fellow applicant here.
Saw your other post too, about GCSEs, but I've lost it. Stumbled upon this one though!
My GCSEs aren't very good either not to mention I only have two 😂
Anyway, which college are you applying to and what essay have you decided to send?
I'm sending one on Punk music and an AS Bach excerpt analysis probably
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.02%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45.49%
Not bothered either way (36)
13%
I'm really nervous (54)
19.49%

Watched Threads