Homeschooling / self studying A levels! Watch

Sizzle111
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by runningstudent)
yeah I know what you mean about knowing people who are doing the same thing! I have heard about Wolsey Hall Ox ford! I went with Oxford open learning! yes I am based near Lancaster (don't know if you know Lancaster!). Where are you based? Yeah I have been trying to meet some people doing the same journey!
Wow! I've just started learning online A levels and am based near Lancaster too!
ALevelNightmares
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How do you guys remain motivated and disciplined to self study A-levels? I have been trying to do it for the last 2 years but I just cannot motivate myself to learn the material for my subjects. I found it pretty easy to get an A* in A-level mathematics at Sixth Form and I left sixth form two years ago because I thought self teaching my other A-levels would be extremely easy. But, it's the opposite. Self teaching is much harder to do because nobody is forcing you to learn like you are forced at sixth form..

I don't find A-levels particularly difficult conceptually, but I just can't be bothered to study for it. I try to study for an hour and I just give up within 10 minutes =(
htmr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ALevelNightmares)
How do you guys remain motivated and disciplined to self study A-levels? I have been trying to do it for the last 2 years but I just cannot motivate myself to learn the material for my subjects. I found it pretty easy to get an A* in A-level mathematics at Sixth Form and I left sixth form two years ago because I thought self teaching my other A-levels would be extremely easy. But, it's the opposite. Self teaching is much harder to do because nobody is forcing you to learn like you are forced at sixth form..

I don't find A-levels particularly difficult conceptually, but I just can't be bothered to study for it. I try to study for an hour and I just give up within 10 minutes =(
for me it took a few months of shutting myself in a room without my phone or anything and pretty much just forcing myself and not leaving until i’ve done what i wanted lmao. i built up the time slowly too, last year i was doing about an hour a day and now i do a few everyday. i think it helps if you’re studying something that you’re interested in so you can be more excited to learn about it too
tiaindie16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by ALevelNightmares)

I got to the point of being the same and decided i needed to do something about it so i have been using Flora the app where you set a timer like a goal for how long your study session needs to be and then you can actually link it to a payment method if you need a lot of motivation because if you stop that timer or come out of the app you actually pay money which goes towards planting trees. Another good app is forest where you build a virtual forest and gain points to again redeem gifts or eventually contribute to planting trees!
runningstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sizzle111)
Wow! I've just started learning online A levels and am based near Lancaster too!

Hi. Sorry just seen this. You are also based near Lancaster😮 where are you at?🙂
How are you finding the studies?
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by satsun)
Anyone been with OOL?
Yes I am doing ool
LaPregunta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tiaindie16)
Hi, I started homeschooling for a levels using an online college last october and i am currently in my second and last year. I am curious to see if there is anybody else within the UK that has chosen to study them at home and then sit them as an external candidate.

Also if anybody would like to start homeschooling for college i am more than happy to share advice and help you! It would be nice to find others who are going through the same journey as myself as there is not a lot of us! Also if you are homeschooling, which subjects do you take!?
How many times a week and what times?

I'm very interested in this, mainly for A-Level law.
luny_tunes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! I'm doing A-Level French Bio and Chem with OOL!
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am doing French as well!
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am doing French as well!
Omg yay! How far through the course are you? Have you started the IRP? 😊
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by luny_tunes)
Omg yay! How far through the course are you? Have you started the IRP? 😊
I am on the 2nd year! How far are you through the course? I advent started the IRP yet!
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am on the 2nd year! How far are you through the course? I advent started the IRP yet!
Me too! Ahh okay, my tutor told me to start researching it, but idk how much info they want 😅 do you have any ideas on what you would do it on?
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Me too! Ahh okay, my tutor told me to start researching it, but idk how much info they want 😅 do you have any ideas on what you would do it on?
Not sure yet. My tutor hasn't told me to start researching yet but going to start in the next few weeks! Have you always homeschooled then or is this new?
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not sure yet. My tutor hasn't told me to start researching yet but going to start in the next few weeks! Have you always homeschooled then or is this new?
This is entirely new! I live in France and am doing the fast track French (so I started around May last year) and am now in my first year of bio and chem. I was in the French education system before, but I wanted to do A-Levels instead of the bac général!

What about you?
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is entirely new! I live in France and am doing the fast track French (so I started around May last year) and am now in my first year of bio and chem. I was in the French education system before, but I wanted to do A-Levels instead of the bac général!

What about you?
Oh wow. I have always done homeschooling but have lived in France a lot! Do you know Avignon?
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh wow. I have always done homeschooling but have lived in France a lot! Do you know Avignon?
Yeah I think I've been there or passed through a few times! Is that where you stay? I'm further up near the French-Swiss border ^^
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah I think I've been there or passed through a few times! Is that where you stay? I'm further up near the French-Swiss border ^^
We live quite close to there when we go! You must be finding the French course very easy!
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We live quite close to there when we go! You must be finding the French course very easy!
Oh awesome! It's really nice to talk to someone else doing the course! Haha, I mean it's still a lot of research for the topics but I find it interesting and not too difficult. How about you? It must be easy for you too if you come to France often!
runningstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh awesome! It's really nice to talk to someone else doing the course! Haha, I mean it's still a lot of research for the topics but I find it interesting and not too difficult. How about you? It must be easy for you too if you come to France often!
Yeah it is great talking to someone doing the same thing! I am coping with it😂 have you always lived in France? What is your tutor like?
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah it is great talking to someone doing the same thing! I am coping with it😂 have you always lived in France? What is your tutor like?
No I lived in the u.k until I was 6 then moved out here! My tutor is really nice, great at helping and giving advice ^^ wbu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (113)
51.6%
No (106)
48.4%

Watched Threads