Homeschooling / self studying A levels! Watch

runningstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by luny_tunes)
No I lived in the u.k until I was 6 then moved out here! My tutor is really nice, great at helping and giving advice ^^ wbu?
Ah ok! Yeah my tutor is really good. She is from France so it is hard when it comes to the oral as she can be very critical!
luny_tunes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by runningstudent)
Ah ok! Yeah my tutor is really good. She is from France so it is hard when it comes to the oral as she can be very critical!
Ah yeah, that doesn't sound easy! At least you'll be really well prepared for the exam ^^
runningstudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah yeah, that doesn't sound easy! At least you'll be really well prepared for the exam ^^
Haha true😂
iasatf
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wha

This is entirely new! I live in France and am doing the fast track French (so I started around May last year) and am now in my first year of bio and chem. I was in the French education system before, but I wanted to do A-Levels instead of the bac général!

What about you?
What is the name of the exam centre you are going to write your A-level exams in?
luny_tunes
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by iasatf)
Wha

What is the name of the exam centre you are going to write your A-level exams in?
I'm gonna do them in Greene's Tutorial College I think wbu?
Almonti372
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Missbekahxo)
I practically taught myself my A levels - English Lit, History and Maths, my attendance at sixth form was about 50% and I didn't find the majority of my lessons very good/ helpful when I did go in. Got my results last month A*A*A
Brilliant results! I'm doing English lit and maths too! (Also physics and AS further maths although I'm not homeschooled). How did you revise for those subjects? Also did you apply to university? I'm sure Oxford and Cambridge and all the best places would take you gladly with those stellar grades!
tiaindie16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
How many times a week and what times?

I'm very interested in this, mainly for A-Level law.
Hi, only just saw this reply but my college specifically does not have a set timetable. Your studying is very independent. Every month I complete one module which I can see on my course page and then you must complete an assignment for A level law every month and for me I have a 100 mark essay (four 25 mark questions). So you decide when you complete the learning but that essay must be handed in on time!
Prix0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My younger brother home-schooled for GCSEs, has gotten 6 GCSEs in Year7, and is now studying for another 6. He's gonna self study for A-Levels too in year9. Which A-Levels are you doing?

(Original post by tiaindie16)
Hi, I started homeschooling for a levels using an online college last october and i am currently in my second and last year. I am curious to see if there is anybody else within the UK that has chosen to study them at home and then sit them as an external candidate.

Also if anybody would like to start homeschooling for college i am more than happy to share advice and help you! It would be nice to find others who are going through the same journey as myself as there is not a lot of us! Also if you are homeschooling, which subjects do you take!?
hxnnxhr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I started homeschooling 2 years ago, I sat AS english language & psychology in 2017, got a C in english & a D in psych..
Was continuing the full A-level from home but had to stop..
I’m now doing the full A-level. It’s hard bc it’s entirely self directed so I have no idea what I’m doing half the time!
tiaindie16
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxnnxhr)
Hi I started homeschooling 2 years ago, I sat AS english language & psychology in 2017, got a C in english & a D in psych..
Was continuing the full A-level from home but had to stop..
I’m now doing the full A-level. It’s hard bc it’s entirely self directed so I have no idea what I’m doing half the time!
Hi, so are you teaching yourself 100% everything or are you part of an online college? i do psychology too so if you need any help i could give you my snap chat or something
tiaindie16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prix0)
My younger brother home-schooled for GCSEs, has gotten 6 GCSEs in Year7, and is now studying for another 6. He's gonna self study for A-Levels too in year9. Which A-Levels are you doing?
wow that is really impressive! i do law, psychology and business
Prix0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
wow that is really impressive! i do law, psychology and business
If I was you I would swap Business for Economics.

Preferably Law for another A-Level as well.

This is because both law and business are in the non-facilitating list of A-Levels, as unis have a preferred list of A-Level subjects.

Because you're self teaching there's a lot of time still, assuming you are in year 12, Econ takes roughly 6-9 months to learn.

Why not pick Maths A-Level too? By far one of the easiest A-Levels to self-teach given the plethora of resources available online.

I am a tutor and I advice a lot of students on A-Level subjects to get into top unis, this is just my personal advice, ignore it if you don't like it
tiaindie16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prix0)
If I was you I would swap Business for Economics.

Preferably Law for another A-Level as well.

This is because both law and business are in the non-facilitating list of A-Levels, as unis have a preferred list of A-Level subjects.

Because you're self teaching there's a lot of time still, assuming you are in year 12, Econ takes roughly 6-9 months to learn.

Why not pick Maths A-Level too? By far one of the easiest A-Levels to self-teach given the plethora of resources available online.

I am a tutor and I advice a lot of students on A-Level subjects to get into top unis, this is just my personal advice, ignore it if you don't like it
Thank you for your comment however I am in year 13 and am very happy with my choices. A lot of universities seem to be enthusiastic for most courses except any general studies. Could you possibly link this list of non-facilitating a levels??
Prix0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for your comment however I am in year 13 and am very happy with my choices. A lot of universities seem to be enthusiastic for most courses except any general studies. Could you possibly link this list of non-facilitating a levels??
on google you'll find the list of facilitating A-Levels top unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL want
maven2k
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Could someone tell me which A-levels can be done as a private candidate?
Prix0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by maven2k)
Could someone tell me which A-levels can be done as a private candidate?
any A-Levels which does not require coursework. Theoretically you still can do them, but it is just much more expensive.
hxnnxhr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I’m teaching myself 100% everything! x literally learning from a textbook which I paid for myself x
Tudor1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is entirely new! I live in France and am doing the fast track French (so I started around May last year) and am now in my first year of bio and chem. I was in the French education system before, but I wanted to do A-Levels instead of the bac général!

What about you?
Hi! How have you found learning in a whole different language and changing education systems? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I'm a bit scared, altough my level of english is pretty good.
Suniya.m05
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I started homeschooling for a levels using an online college last october and i am currently in my second and last year. I am curious to see if there is anybody else within the UK that has chosen to study them at home and then sit them as an external candidate.

Also if anybody would like to start homeschooling for college i am more than happy to share advice and help you! It would be nice to find others who are going through the same journey as myself as there is not a lot of us! Also if you are homeschooling, which subjects do you take!?
Hi! I’m considering homeschooling for a level biology chemistry and psychology however I would have to switch exam boards for psychology. Do you think I would be able to do the whole AS course in about 4 months with tutor support?
satsun
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Suniya.m05)
Hi! I’m considering homeschooling for a level biology chemistry and psychology however I would have to switch exam boards for psychology. Do you think I would be able to do the whole AS course in about 4 months with tutor support?
I think that would be perfectly doable. Try to learn all content in three months and leave the final month for solely revising. I’m doing three AS’s in May too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (118)
51.75%
No (110)
48.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed