Should I apply for two courses at the same university? Watch

ErvinBoyes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for both "BA History, Politics and Economics", as well as "BA History" at UCL just because I really loved it there when I visited and I loved London. I want to do something with History and Economics in the course, so I'll also be applying for Economic History which is only offered by two universities, and then HPE at UCL. That means I have to fill the other places with straight History, and none of the other universities that offer History appeal to me as much as UCL did. So would there be any disadvantage of doing this? My personal statement caters a little more to the economics side, but it is all within the context of history and economic history.

If it helps, my grades exceed the minimum grades required for a contextual offer (ABB) which I qualify for. I have an A* in Graphic Communication, A in History, and a B in Economics.
Last edited by ErvinBoyes; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ErvinBoyes)
I want to apply for both History, Politics and Economics, as well as History at UCL just because I really loved it there when I visited and I loved London. I want to do something with History and Economics in the course, so I'll also be applying for Economic History which is only offered by two universities. That means I have to fill the other places with straight History, and none of the other universities that offer History appeal to me as much as UCL did. So would there be any disadvantage of doing this? My personal statement caters a little more to the economics side, but it is all within the context of history and economic history.

If it helps, my grades exceed the minimum grades required for a contextual offer (ABB) which I qualify for. I have an A* in Graphic Communication, A in History, and a B in Economics.
Your choice. I would talk to UCL admissions and see if theres a more efficient way of using 2-3? choices?
If UCL is the only place for you then thats where you are pinning your hopes.
If the competition is fierce though, then if you fail for one you could easily fail for all three attempts.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Your choice. I would talk to UCL admissions and see if theres a more efficient way of using 2-3? choices?
If UCL is the only place for you then thats where you are pinning your hopes.
If the competition is fierce though, then if you fail for one you could easily fail for all three attempts.
I think you may have misunderstood slightly, the courses are "BA History Politics and Economics" and "BA History" not History, Politics and Economics respectively. Just edited it now, my bad for not making it clearer . Do you think in this case it would make less of a difference?
Last edited by ErvinBoyes; 4 weeks ago
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied to two courses at Uni Of Liverpool and it turned out to be a waste imo. Both courses were in clearing so I could’ve easily switched. It’s better to pick 5 unis but if you don’t want to apply to 5 then that’s fine I guess. But then again UCL is way above Liverpool lmao
Last edited by OR321; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you may have misunderstood slightly, the courses are "BA History Politics and Economics" and "BA History" not History, Politics and Economics respectively. Just edited it now, my bad for not making it clearer . Do you think in this case it would make less of a difference?
Answer is still the same. It is ok, but if you speak to admissions they may consider you in the alternative if you only use one choice.
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Answer is still the same. It is ok, but if you speak to admissions they may consider you in the alternative if you only use one choice.
Yeah thats probably the best way forward. thank you!
Anastasiadis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I want to apply for both "BA History, Politics and Economics", as well as "BA History" at UCL just because I really loved it there when I visited and I loved London. I want to do something with History and Economics in the course, so I'll also be applying for Economic History which is only offered by two other universities. That means I have to fill the other places with straight History, and none of the other universities that offer History appeal to me as much as UCL did. So would there be any disadvantage of doing this? My personal statement caters a little more to the economics side, but it is all within the context of history and economic history.

LSE does economic history, but I wouldn’t apply to two courses there. Not sure about UCL
ErvinBoyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anastasiadis)
LSE does economic history, but I wouldn’t apply to two courses there. Not sure about UCL
Yeah I will be applying there actually. UCL doesn't but its has the History, Politics and Economics course which is what I'd be applying to alongside Economic History at LSE and Edinburgh. I just realised how confusing my original question is lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads