Could I manage a part time job while also joining a society and a sports club? Watch

SilverWater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi.

I'm starting uni soon and I'll be in my first year. I was wondering if I would be spreading myself wayyyy too thin by joining a society and sports club while also having a part time job.

I'd only be working one day on the weekend (8hrs) and the sports club skiing will be once a week every Wednesday. The other society, DJ and Bass, Im not sure how heavy that is commitment wise.

I do also go gym 3 times a week so I wanna keep that up and my course is Economics which has like 14hrs of contact time.

Would It be realistic to manage to do all this while also adulting? or should I cut down to just one sport or society?
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
See how you go, honestly. You can always reduce your commitment later in the year if necessary. I also don't know the exact specifics of your course, so while I know you have 14hrs contact, I'm not sure how that breaks down. At my uni they say that if you're doing 40hrs study per week in term (inclusive of contact hours) you're doing ok. However, my course (mathematics) fits a lot better into that than, say, Medicine or Classics.

How much of your Wednesdays is Skiing?
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
See how you go, honestly. You can always reduce your commitment later in the year if necessary. I also don't know the exact specifics of your course, so while I know you have 14hrs contact, I'm not sure how that breaks down. At my uni they say that if you're doing 40hrs study per week in term (inclusive of contact hours) you're doing ok. However, my course (mathematics) fits a lot better into that than, say, Medicine or Classics.

How much of your Wednesdays is Skiing?
Thanks for the response!

I think realistically it'll be a couple of hours maybe like 4-5 hours???That includes coming beck to my accommodation.

On my time table every Wednesday I have a 2 hour seminar about maths (9-11) and then a tutorial on stats ( 12-1).

At my university the time table is designed so you can take up at least one sport every Wednesday . ( Skiing starts at 1:30 on a Wednesday )
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SilverWater)
Thanks for the response!

I think realistically it'll be a couple of hours maybe like 4-5 hours???That includes coming beck to my accommodation.

On my time table every Wednesday I have a 2 hour seminar about maths (9-11) and then a tutorial on stats ( 12-1).

At my university the time table is designed so you can take up at least one sport every Wednesday . ( Skiing starts at 1:30 on a Wednesday )
Wow, that's really neat! My university doesn't so much have a "timetable" as it does a lecture schedule and arduous chats with tutors to get tutorials organised. Haha.

It looks like you should have plenty of time, so long as your commitment to that society is sufficiently flexible.

This is what uni is all about though, really. It's all about learning how to manage your own time, getting your work done while also having time to do all the things you enjoy! Don't worry too much about it. You'll work it out as you go along.
SilverWater
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
Wow, that's really neat! My university doesn't so much have a "timetable" as it does a lecture schedule and arduous chats with tutors to get tutorials organised. Haha.

It looks like you should have plenty of time, so long as your commitment to that society is sufficiently flexible.

This is what uni is all about though, really. It's all about learning how to manage your own time, getting your work done while also having time to do all the things you enjoy! Don't worry too much about it. You'll work it out as you go along.
Haha fair enough 😂 I didn't know other unis were like that tbh!

Hm ok true. I do feel like the society is more of a time consuming one since they organise festivals that you can play a set in, help you get into the nightlife scene while also offering DJ lessons! But I guess how I'll see how it goes as you have said

Hmm ok. Ngl Uni seems like it'll be pretty hectic! Thank you for the advice too. I really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads