Living with people from other unis help

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
i recently found a student accommodation which is in the city centre. The accommodation is associated with one of the universities and majority of their students will be from that uni living there. They also accept other students from different uni's, I will be one of the students who will be coming to live here and I go to another uni. I had found out from the staff that those I'm living with (in the flat) are from the same uni and are all first years while I'll be starting second year.

Does it matter that this is the case? Im also feeling very nervous in moving in because I don't know what the other people who I'll be living with are like because I have not seen them. Other characteristics I have put into consideration is age and background wise. When I went today for a viewing of the place I saw students passing by and most of them are white. I don't want it to be situation where I am the only person of colour/from an ethnic background living in the accommodation. I have experienced this before when I was in my first year at my uni's halls.

I would not mind if the accommodation was a mixture of all unis in my city and had people from all diverse backgrounds. In the long run I am looking to make friends with the people I live with, due to my circumstances I have not made any friends yet and I could do with meeting new people. .

Any advice on how I could settle into living in student accommodation would be helpful.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It’s an impossible question to answer. You’ll only know when you get there. I’ve lived in halls for three years of post grad and each year the flat was different, some years social and the opposite for another. It’s normal to want to live with people like ourselves so I understand why you want some non white flat mates. I guess all I can do is wish you luck!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i recently found a student accommodation which is in the city centre. The accommodation is associated with one of the universities and majority of their students will be from that uni living there. They also accept other students from different uni's, I will be one of the students who will be coming to live here and I go to another uni. I had found out from the staff that those I'm living with (in the flat) are from the same uni and are all first years while I'll be starting second year.

Does it matter that this is the case? Im also feeling very nervous in moving in because I don't know what the other people who I'll be living with are like because I have not seen them. Other characteristics I have put into consideration is age and background wise. When I went today for a viewing of the place I saw students passing by and most of them are white. I don't want it to be situation where I am the only person of colour/from an ethnic background living in the accommodation. I have experienced this before when I was in my first year at my uni's halls.

I would not mind if the accommodation was a mixture of all unis in my city and had people from all diverse backgrounds. In the long run I am looking to make friends with the people I live with, due to my circumstances I have not made any friends yet and I could do with meeting new people. .

Any advice on how I could settle into living in student accommodation would be helpful.
If the accommodation unis and age is not to your liking then choose somewhere else.

Accommodation near one uni is more likely to get students going to that uni.

If you need more students of colour, then go to a uni with that ethnic mix.

As far as the hall is concerned they are businesses and like to let out their properties. They cant let and mix according to your taste and are influenced by who applies.

If I were in that situation I would forget the race issue. Hang out wth others of your ethnic group at uni.
If your issue is with the fact they go to the other uni, then act confidently and realise first years are open minded for about 5 weeks, so make an effort to go out with them, go to events and even visit their uni. It might be more convenient and easier. That way you dont have to stand out as much. If you are confident and make an effort you can make friends.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
If the accommodation unis and age is not to your liking then choose somewhere else.

Accommodation near one uni is more likely to get students going to that uni.

If you need more students of colour, then go to a uni with that ethnic mix.

As far as the hall is concerned they are businesses and like to let out their properties. They cant let and mix according to your taste and are influenced by who applies.

If I were in that situation I would forget the race issue. Hang out wth others of your ethnic group at uni.
If your issue is with the fact they go to the other uni, then act confidently and realise first years are open minded for about 5 weeks, so make an effort to go out with them, go to events and even visit their uni. It might be more convenient and easier. That way you dont have to stand out as much. If you are confident and make an effort you can make friends.
Its too late to start transferring to another uni, I am already in uni - starting second year in October and it will just be too much changing etc. I wish I went somewhere else but I didn't have the grades for it. I do need more students of colour with an ethic mix but I don't know where they are at.

Plus there is hardly anyone of my ethnic ethnic group at uni thats why I want to find them outside of uni (other students in halls or uni).
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Its too late to start transferring to another uni, I am already in uni - starting second year in October and it will just be too much changing etc. I wish I went somewhere else but I didn't have the grades for it. I do need more students of colour with an ethic mix but I don't know where they are at.

Plus there is hardly anyone of my ethnic ethnic group at uni thats why I want to find them outside of uni (other students in halls or uni).
I mean another hall.
Maybe your uni has societies and they have an Afro Caribbean or whatever group you are from society, maybe they have the sane at the other uni? Youve already been there a year, didnt you id your ethnic grouping/ society then?
Last edited by 999tigger; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads