Idek5678
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m in year 13 and I’m struggling with both chemistry and biology I got predicted a C and a d for my predicted grades can I turn this around before exams to get a higher grade and if so what can I do?
Thank you
username4960444
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes you can (I did)... my advice is to do as many past papers as possible.

The questions are often recycled. Always study the 6 mark questions - these always recur again and again. If for example you get 2/6 on a question, then copy down the points in the markscheme and try and answer it again without looking. Keep doing this until you remember how to answer all the 6 markers.

For bio you mainly need to remember the keywords to describe/explain things, while for Chem you need to remember to be extremely accurate - make sure you do not forget curly arrows/charges/brackets! Chemistry is actually not as hard as it first appears; there are lots of easy marks you can get if you just remember the steps for all the reaction pathways (easier said than done, but with enough practice, it WILL stick). Make sure when you get a page of synthetic pathways, you do everything perfectly and always double check everything.

Also in chemistry, there's a lot of maths. My advice for this (if you find it hard) is both do lots of practice of the long titration questions (I find these the hardest) and always pay attention to the stoichiometry of the equations since there's a lot of tricks they can pull here: e.g. if you have a neutralisation reaction, the reaction could form 2H2O in which case you would need to divide your answer by 2 for the formation of 1 H2O. I think you will learn more about this in Year 13 though.
Idek5678
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StarmanJr)
Yes you can (I did)... my advice is to do as many past papers as possible.

The questions are often recycled. Always study the 6 mark questions - these always recur again and again. If for example you get 2/6 on a question, then copy down the points in the markscheme and try and answer it again without looking. Keep doing this until you remember how to answer all the 6 markers.

For bio you mainly need to remember the keywords to describe/explain things, while for Chem you need to remember to be extremely accurate - make sure you do not forget curly arrows/charges/brackets! Chemistry is actually not as hard as it first appears; there are lots of easy marks you can get if you just remember the steps for all the reaction pathways (easier said than done, but with enough practice, it WILL stick). Make sure when you get a page of synthetic pathways, you do everything perfectly and always double check everything.

Also in chemistry, there's a lot of maths. My advice for this (if you find it hard) is both do lots of practice of the long titration questions (I find these the hardest) and always pay attention to the stoichiometry of the equations since there's a lot of tricks they can pull here: e.g. if you have a neutralisation reaction, the reaction could form 2H2O in which case you would need to divide your answer by 2 for the formation of 1 H2O. I think you will learn more about this in Year 13 though.
I’m hopefully going to start past papers soon after finishing my notes do you recommend finishing a topic then doing past paper questions or finishing all your notes first?
username4960444
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Idek5678)
I’m hopefully going to start past papers soon after finishing my notes do you recommend finishing a topic then doing past paper questions or finishing all your notes first?
I think finishing a topic by doing past paper questions is a good idea - I always use physicsandmathstutor.com to find questions.
Then by Easter and onwards you can start doing full papers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads