Patisha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, so I’m in year 12 and wanting to get into medicine. I’m doing a-level biology, chemistry and maths. I was wondering can anyone give me any information on BMAT or UKAT because I know I need to take them depending on the university I would like to apply to. However can you please tell me the grade system and how they work and just what they are? Thank you.
jj.repinec
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can find the information for both admission tests online on their website:
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/
https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo.../bmat-october/

Typically in UCAT you get a score between 300-900 (300 being the worst and 900 being the best score) on first four sections and then a band score for situational judgement with Band 1 being the best. You get a average calculated from the first four sections (Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning) and typically an average score above 650 is considered good but an average score of 700+ will make your application very strong.

In BMAT total raw marks for each section are converted to BMAT's scale, which runs from 1 (low) to 9 (high). Typical BMAT candidates will score around 5.0, roughly half marks. The best candidates will score around 6.0, and a few exceptional candidates will score higher than 7.0. The essay part of the paper is scored differently with a score ranging form 1 (low) to 5 (high) and also a quality of english grade where A is the highest and E is lowest

Depending on what uni your applying to (both UCAT and BMAT) some may have a cut off score. St George's had a cut off of 622.5 last year in the UKCAT and Imperial had a cut off for BMAT as Section 1: 4.1, Section 2: 4.2, Section 3: 2.5, grade C.
Just make sure you get you get your registration and bookings down early for both exams. Especially if you want to do the BMAT in August instead of in October.
jj.repinec
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jj.repinec)
You can find the information for both admission tests online on their website:
https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/
https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo.../bmat-october/

Typically in UCAT you get a score between 300-900 (300 being the worst and 900 being the best score) on first four sections and then a band score for situational judgement with Band 1 being the best. You get a average calculated from the first four sections (Verbal Reasoning, Decision Making, Quantitative Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning) and typically an average score above 650 is considered good but an average score of 700+ will make your application very strong.

In BMAT total raw marks for each section are converted to BMAT's scale, which runs from 1 (low) to 9 (high). Typical BMAT candidates will score around 5.0, roughly half marks. The best candidates will score around 6.0, and a few exceptional candidates will score higher than 7.0. The essay part of the paper is scored differently with a score ranging form 1 (low) to 5 (high) and also a quality of english grade where A is the highest and E is lowest

Depending on what uni your applying to (both UCAT and BMAT) some may have a cut off score. St George's had a cut off of 622.5 last year in the UKCAT and Imperial had a cut off for BMAT as Section 1: 4.1, Section 2: 4.2, Section 3: 2.5, grade C.
Just make sure you get you get your registration and bookings down early for both exams. Especially if you want to do the BMAT in August instead of in October.
Also in terms of revision for both exams I would say for UKCAT the best source that most medical students recommend is Medify for a month (the UKCAT book is only good for familiarise yourself with the exam but for hardcore revision use Medify) and for BMAT you should use BMAT Ninja.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (420)
43.75%
No (101)
10.52%
I'm not old enough (439)
45.73%

Watched Threads