Are universities too elitist? Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm in year 12, taking sociology, english language and history. I'm not sure about uni, but one of the thing that puts me off is that not only is it expensive (although I can afford it), is that the whole university thing just seems very elitist. Is this the case?
olivia.francesca
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly depends in the uni. I’m generalising a lot here but in my experience: unis in the north no. Unis in the south yes
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That north/south thing is just stupid ^^. You should only go uni if you want to further your studies, not because everyone else does. There’s loads of alternatives now
Dexter321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are genuinely worried about elitism, if you do choose to go to Uni, take a close look at the stats for student intake. Some Uni's take in a huge number of private school applicants, as well as overseas. Whether that is exactly what you mean re elitism, I'm not sure.
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How are you worried about elitism manifesting itself? Academic institutions by their very nature have to exercise some level of elitism in order to make sure they are taking on the best students they can, however I would gather you probably mean this in a perhaps different way?
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I'm in year 12, taking sociology, english language and history. I'm not sure about uni, but one of the thing that puts me off is that not only is it expensive (although I can afford it), is that the whole university thing just seems very elitist. Is this the case?
Statistically, no: UK domiciled full-time Higher Education undergraduate enrolments 2017/18 show 111,000 students from private schools and over one million students from state schools.

Experientially, possibly: pay attention to the intake profiles of your target universities. Although, that said, even a small cohort of privileged students can have a distorting effect by making their presence felt.

Financially: explore what funding you would be entitled to, and evaluate whether you feel this would be feasible for you.
username1562597
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by olivia.francesca)
Honestly depends in the uni. I’m generalising a lot here but in my experience: unis in the north no. Unis in the south yes
which universities did you experience this at?
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, university management tiers are elitist.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I think you ned to elaborate on what you mean by elitist because different contributors have answered by what they mean by elitist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads