2nd year of uni and no friends? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I start second year in October and I'm worried that I will not progress into making friends, my experience of first year was so terrible, and the way everything went down was just not what I expected. I have no friends but one hanging from a thread. We don't have similar interests and it's like we hang around each other for convenience and to avoid portraying being lonely. I have nothing against her but she isn't a type of person who I would classify as a friend simply because we don't do anything together and have no real connection. I have suggested many times of outings we can do but they are never put into place to give both of us the opportunity to get to know each other. I understand her background of that she lives far and is a mother. However, I'm feeling very lonely and bored. My summer this year was so bad I only went out with my family's friends who are much older than me. I don't know if my uni will do an event similar to freshers fair for second years, and I could really do with an opportunity with getting to know more people and such. Any advice would be helpful
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Join societies, I only had 2 semi-decent friends by the time I went into my 2nd year, but joining societies made it much easier to make more friends, then it sort of snowballs from there since you know more people.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AdamCor)
Join societies, I only had 2 semi-decent friends by the time I went into my 2nd year, but joining societies made it much easier to make more friends, then it sort of snowballs from there since you know more people.
Will the societies be for all students regardless of year grade. Cause that's what I'm worried about. I don't know if my uni will do societies and events like they did last year for us.
grl9096
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Will the societies be for all students regardless of year grade. Cause that's what I'm worried about. I don't know if my uni will do societies and events like they did last year for us.
anyone can join societies
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
To add to this, alot of unis also down welcome back events for returning students. Theyve probably clocked onto people in your position as it seems to be quite common. But as mentioned above, societies are for anyone in the uni. You could even go to the freshers fair aswell
grl9096
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To add to this, alot of unis also down welcome back events for returning students. Theyve probably clocked onto people in your position as it seems to be quite common. But as mentioned above, societies are for anyone in the uni. You could even go to the freshers fair aswell
I've even been to societies that had members that weren't even attending the university
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by grl9096)
I've even been to societies that had members that weren't even attending the university
Really? Thats a first. Are we talking about members who just attend other universities? Or just general public? Cause I’m not sure how i feel about the latter. I’d be a bit worried of any creeps just wanting to hang around with young female uni students. Specially as theres this whole stereotype surrounding students
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I start second year in October and I'm worried that I will not progress into making friends, my experience of first year was so terrible, and the way everything went down was just not what I expected. I have no friends but one hanging from a thread. We don't have similar interests and it's like we hang around each other for convenience and to avoid portraying being lonely. I have nothing against her but she isn't a type of person who I would classify as a friend simply because we don't do anything together and have no real connection. I have suggested many times of outings we can do but they are never put into place to give both of us the opportunity to get to know each other. I understand her background of that she lives far and is a mother. However, I'm feeling very lonely and bored. My summer this year was so bad I only went out with my family's friends who are much older than me. I don't know if my uni will do an event similar to freshers fair for second years, and I could really do with an opportunity with getting to know more people and such. Any advice would be helpful
Usually second year can attend Fresher's Fair and sign up for new societies that you didn't in first year, so I would definitely recommend doing this. This will allow you to meet new people with similar interests. Did you join a lot of societies in first year?

Course classes sometimes get smaller in size due to differing module choices, so if your course is a big group, this will allow you to talk to and work with students you hadn't previously had conversations with.

In your free time, you could also look to do volunteering (within uni or outside of uni) - not only can it look good on your CV, you can give back to the community and you can meet new people too.
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bit late but like other people said, societies lets anyone join, since I joined all my societies in my 2nd year as well. And it's likely most societies will hold some sort of event at freshers, since they want as many of the first years to join, but you're 100% allowed to go to these events and join in too, since they usually want more people so they can run more/better events.
grl9096
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Really? Thats a first. Are we talking about members who just attend other universities? Or just general public? Cause I’m not sure how i feel about the latter. I’d be a bit worried of any creeps just wanting to hang around with young female uni students. Specially as theres this whole stereotype surrounding students
General public. I felt the same too but as far as I'm aware nothing bad has happened. At my uni the student union is open to the general public. They have events there sometimes that anyone can attend.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
General public. I felt the same too but as far as I'm aware nothing bad has happened. At my uni the student union is open to the general public. They have events there sometimes that anyone can attend.
Oh wow ok. Yeah thats strange to me. And kind of takes away one of the biggest perks to going to university. Imagine you’re all excited to be able to join societies and then when you join, you find out your mom is also a member lol. I guess each to their own. Which uni is this?
grl9096
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh wow ok. Yeah thats strange to me. And kind of takes away one of the biggest perks to going to university. Imagine you’re all excited to be able to join societies and then when you join, you find out your mom is also a member lol. I guess each to their own. Which uni is this?
Manchester. Really? I've been to other uni's student unions and you literally just walk in, you don't need student id or anything. It is 95% students in these societies though and maybe one or two who aren't. They tend to be in their 20s not like a 50 year old or anything lol
nintysixthousand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
dont worry im in the same boat! Im starting in two weeks and im going to try and push myself to join a society, as well as just be open to talking to people, smile and be friendly. Be open to making friends but dont focus on it so much that you get consumed by it, it will happen over time!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Manchester. Really? I've been to other uni's student unions and you literally just walk in, you don't need student id or anything. It is 95% students in these societies though and maybe one or two who aren't. They tend to be in their 20s not like a 50 year old or anything lol
Hmmm. Maybe I’m the odd one out for not knowing this then? At the uni i was at it was only members as you needed your ID number to join. They had some activities like sports (non competitive) which was open to anyone though. Most likely because they want to make the money back for hiring out sports centres etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed