The Student Room Group

British Overseas National

Hi,

My cousin holds a British passport and is thinking of coming from Hong Kong to study in the UK. I know he won't qualify for student finance loan but what will his fee status be? Will he considered a home student or an overseas student?

Thanks,
Dikshya
He’ll be considered overseas unless he has been ordinarily resident in the uk (or eea at the moment) for the 3 years before his degree starts.
Original post by Dikshya1
Hi,

My cousin holds a British passport and is thinking of coming from Hong Kong to study in the UK. I know he won't qualify for student finance loan but what will his fee status be? Will he considered a home student or an overseas student?

Thanks,
Dikshya

Hi there,

Was he an ordinary resident in Hong Kong or did he live in the UK and then travel there for a temporary reason?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Was he an ordinary resident in Hong Kong or did he live in the UK and then travel there for a temporary reason?

Regards,
Nihad

Hi Nihad,

He was born and raised in Hong Kong. Never been to the UK but has a British nationality.
Hi Nihad,

He was born and raised in Hong Kong. Never been to the UK but has a British nationality.

He would not qualify for finance from us. He can get funding if he is starting a new course after living here for three years.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 5
He would not qualify for finance from us. He can get funding if he is starting a new course after living here for three years.

Regards,
Nihad

I knew he wouldn’t get a funding but would he pay overseas student fee or home student?

Thank you!
I knew he wouldn’t get a funding but would he pay overseas student fee or home student?

Thank you!

He would need to ask his university, we do not charge or set the fees.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 7
He would need to ask his university, we do not charge or set the fees.

Regards,
Nihad

Oh ok. So it’s the uni that decides the fee status for the student?
Thank you
Oh ok. So it’s the uni that decides the fee status for the student?
Thank you

That is correct.

Thanks,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending