Want to do a science degree - should I resit GCSE maths? Watch

MissIqbal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I got a 5 in GCSE maths and I'm thinking about doing a science degree (something to do with bio or chem). What degrees are available to me? should I resit? I wanna go to a RG uni
claudia.2802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Universities will specify if they need a specific grade for GCSE maths. Pretty sure some are fine with a 5 for sciencey subjects, but for good RG it could be a 6 or a 7 needed. If you are going on to do a-levels and I'll assume you're taking bio and chem, you may struggle with a 5. Not so much for bio but with chem more likely. Some schools will only accept you taking a-level chem if you have a 7 in maths!! BUTif you can put in the work you might be safe. If you're not confident with maths, you could resit a higher paper or make sure you understand the gcse maths part used in chemistry.
It should be made very clear on uni websites, so check the RG courses.
MissIqbal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by claudia.2802)
Universities will specify if they need a specific grade for GCSE maths. Pretty sure some are fine with a 5 for sciencey subjects, but for good RG it could be a 6 or a 7 needed. If you are going on to do a-levels and I'll assume you're taking bio and chem, you may struggle with a 5. Not so much for bio but with chem more likely. Some schools will only accept you taking a-level chem if you have a 7 in maths!! BUTif you can put in the work you might be safe. If you're not confident with maths, you could resit a higher paper or make sure you understand the gcse maths part used in chemistry.
It should be made very clear on uni websites, so check the RG courses.
I don't really know what degree I want to do which is why I can't check. I've already started A level bio and chem and tuition is helping me through the maths part of them. £65 is what they're charging me to resit. I think I'll take your advice and resit. thanks!
claudia.2802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ooooh I see. If it something bio/chem related, you may still want to look up the gcse bio, chem, biochem, bioscience biology and molecular medicine etc. requirement to get a idea for the gcse maths requirement.
I forgot that it would cost-at my sixth form you cna resit it it for free since some people come here because they've failed maths/English lol. If you think it is worth spending the £65 then go for it. Just depends whether money is an issue. You can always speak to the teacher who will sort out a lot of UCAS for your school
Paladino
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MissIqbal)
I got a 5 in GCSE maths and I'm thinking about doing a science degree (something to do with bio or chem). What degrees are available to me? should I resit? I wanna go to a RG uni
It will probably be hard to study phys or chem, since both are around 30-40% maths IDk about bio though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads