Turn on thread page Beta

University/Friends/Family Income watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that your family income effects the kind of friends you keep? I hate the weeks when I'm just about broke and I feel like I have to dodge everybody so they wont ask me to go out somewhere with them to do something I can't pay for!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Do you think that your family income effects the kind of friends you keep? I hate the weeks when I'm just about broke and I feel like I have to dodge everybody so they wont ask me to go out somewhere with them to do something I can't pay for!!
    I haven't noticed it - nobody has particularly loaded parents here, or if they do, they're not being massively subsidised anyway. The ones with low parental incomes get bursaries anyway, so are actually better off than me! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I got burseries although I suppose I do get my fees paid for me, I still have £8000 worth of loan. A lot of richer students don't need loans because their parents pay for everything.

I am not totaly convinced by the governments plans to get poorer people into university anyway, I think what they should be doing is trying to get more middle class people to consider the none university route. My belief is that if poorer people want to go to university they will do no matter how much proganda they get from the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I still have £8000 worth of loan.
    a mere £8,000? i shall graduate with at least £16,000 of SLC loan.. & probably a commercial one as well because the NHS bursary will hardly cover all year round living expenses when i don't really have the holidays for paid employment..

converse to helenia, i think it's apparent some people do have loaded parents here, but then the type of friends i 'keep' aren't really those who flaunt it.. just discretely have the bottles of champagne(!) added to their tab when we go out for a mass pizza express type dinner. yes, i especially like friends like that..

my spending seems to fluctuate from week to week (depending on how much work i have!) but there are lots of cheap student fun things to do - going out on student nights / sport club curries / hosting dinner parties etc, as long as they're in moderation.
    & check uni/college hardship funds maybe?

sometimes i do feel somewhat bitter & twisted at tales of caribbean cruises over the christmas vac.. pff.

but i suppose my reasoning is that most people won't be able to live of family money forever (well, i should modify that.. we have some titled people with 'estates' to inherit) so my hard work will stand me in good stead for a confortable life later on.. or something..

heh, i just found out that my parents are paying all my **** off at the end of it

good to have well off/ rich parents

w00t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    heh, i just found out that my parents are paying all my **** off at the end of it
    why don't you save paying the interest back then & just have them subsidise you throughout uni?

& i would be bitter & twisted.. but i have fab parents & none of the deperately seeking parental approval/attention issues some of my more affluent conterparts seem to harbour.. so.. it's only money i suppose. & with an oxford medical degree i should be fairly employable i'd hope..

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with you medics is that yes you end up in debt, but afterwards you have a job for life and it's near impossible to sack you - same as people who go into teaching.

As for AT's point, the current system is actually quite generous to the working classes. The people who really get hit are the middle classes who have to pay full fees, get a pitiful loan and are in a position where even though their life is relatively comfortable, their parents aren't in a position to make a substantial contribution to their higher education. Thankfully, I'm not quite in that position, and as a grad have the funding too means my parents don't pay for anything anymore.

ReputationRep:
    My parents = lower income bracket.
    Me = rather poor
    My mates = Private school people who live in big houses + have lots of cash or people like me...

Not really then...

ReputationRep:
    The lower classes are a lot poorer than the typical middle classes at university. Even though they don't pay fees they often don't get a penny from their parents or other relatives. I think the poorest though is probably the lower income middle classes who earn enough to have to pay fees but don't have the disposable income to be able to afford them. This where the governments system is fately flawed.

ReputationRep:

Even though i'm getting my fees paid, a loan and a grant, its still a struggle for me. I've had no parental support in getting to university be it financial or emotional. I'm going to leave university with around £25,000 worth of SLC money to pay back. I am fortunate that i'm be in a recession proof job and paying it off shouldn't be a problem. I do see how having a enough money to get by, but then having to pay everything would make people resentful, but often their overall quality of life (making a huge generalisation i know) may be better.

Some people i've met don't realise just how hard it is when you can't call somebody if you spend too much money, and in a way i'm glad things are the way they are for me because its taught me the value of money. However i have to say most people i've met whatever their background are just normal students like everyone else. My friends range from someone with a similar financial background to mine, to someone who went to finishing school and drives a mercedes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    a mere £8,000? i shall graduate with at least £16,000 of SLC loan.. & probably a commercial one as well because the NHS bursary will hardly cover all year round living expenses when i don't really have the holidays for paid employment..
    Although many NHS employees manage to live on a sallary of less than the NHS bursary

ReputationRep:
    I think the poorest though is probably the lower income middle classes who earn enough to have to pay fees but don't have the disposable income to be able to afford them. This where the governments system is fately flawed.
    Completely agree. They aren't even eligible for any bursaries or grants.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are in the lower income bracket. I am going to get the full loan and a grant in my 2nd and 3rd years.
    Won't get it in the first year as have worked for a year, pushing my income over the limit.
    Don't feel as money (for once) will be too much of a prob (even though parents are not supporting me) as I will have around £9000 to spend over the 3 years of study from working.
    Its a shame for many that uni will be a struggle, think it is such a good idea to take a year out and earn some money. You get some really good experiences and as long as u don't spend it all, some extra money at uni.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.