The Student Room Group

Do you need good GCSE for medicine with a foundation year

Question above
Yes, you do need good GCSEs to show your capability in medicine. Foundation years are mainly for students who have the same GCSE grades compared to the normal medical school degree, but they did the wrong a levels to get into the five year course (as an example, there’s obviously other reasons too) If that makes sense?

In context, what are your GCSEs?
Original post by Hazzabear
Yes, you do need good GCSEs to show your capability in medicine. Foundation years are mainly for students who have the same GCSE grades compared to the normal medical school degree, but they did the wrong a levels to get into the five year course (as an example, there’s obviously other reasons too) If that makes sense?

is 10 9s and 1 8 enough?
Reply 3
Original post by mathspaperfree
is 10 9s and 1 8 enough?

10 A* and 1 A is enough yes
Original post by juulpod
10 A* and 1 A is enough yes

okey, but i think that you need 13 9s at least for oxbridge.
The average user on TSR gets around 15 9s so it shouldn't be too hard to get.
Why don't you just look up the requirements on some University websites .....?

Btw, there is a whole section o TSR with info about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Reply 6
Original post by Hazzabear

3 5s, 3 6s and 3 7s
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ggwannabe
3 5s, 3 6s and 3 7s, are there not gateway courses for applicants with a disadvantage background (I came in the UK in Year 9, my family household income is 16,000, my mom is going to uni this year) but science a levels? I am in year 12 doing Biology Chemistry and Maths (got a 6 in Maths and a 76 in Combined Science)

There are gateway courses for students from disadvantaged backgrounds (the majority of them are tbh)

There’s a lot of misinformation out there saying gateway courses are only for people with the wrong A levels.

For Southampton, you must have chemistry and biology. Others e.g. Kings are pretty similar but will just lower the entry requirements. You’ll need to check if there are any location requirements too.

GCSE wise, it really is up to the uni so you need to check the entry requirements or the threads that others have suggested. But it’s typically in the same vein as A levels, you need English and maths but they’ll be at a lower grade usually.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MedicalMuffins
There are gateway courses for students from disadvantaged backgrounds (the majority of them are tbh)

There’s a lot of misinformation out there saying gateway courses are only for people with the wrong A levels.

For Southampton, you must have chemistry and biology. Others e.g. Kings are pretty similar but will just lower the entry requirements. You’ll need to check if there are any location requirements too.

GCSE wise, it really is up to the uni so you need to check the entry requirements or the threads that others have suggested. But it’s typically in the same vein as A levels, you need English and maths but they’ll be at a lower grade usually.

done
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mathspaperfree
bro, you don't need to tell the internet all of your info.

Haha sorry just trying to be as specific as possible. I edited it, do you mind deleting the quote as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending