The Student Room Group

Don’t want to do my course anymore and I have a month to apply!

So -stupidly- I’ve decided I don’t want to do the course I’ve planned to do anymore and my school is starting to help up apply next month. I do English Biology and Psychology A levels and I don’t know what to do at uni!! I literally feel like I don’t know myself and don’t know what I will enjoy because I really don’t want to do something I won’t like for 3 years. Any help bc I can’t find anything anywhere ??? Or anyone in this situation toooo??
So -stupidly- I’ve decided I don’t want to do the course I’ve planned to do anymore and my school is starting to help up apply next month. I do English Biology and Psychology A levels and I don’t know what to do at uni!! I literally feel like I don’t know myself and don’t know what I will enjoy because I really don’t want to do something I won’t like for 3 years. Any help bc I can’t find anything anywhere ??? Or anyone in this situation toooo??
Reply 2
Original post by idkanyusername

so you planned to do xxx at uni and now you've decided you don't want to do xxx? And so are looking for inspiration for a new subject to study?

What do you like about your current Alevels? What made you decide against xxx? Are you looking for something with a vocational end point?
If u really dont know maybe you should take a gap year and figure out what u wanna do
Reply 4
Original post by idkanyusername

There's no rush, if you don't know its best for you to explore your options even if it means taking a gap year. Me and a few of my friends took one and it was. rewarding, as we attended events and also worked to save enough for uni. Schools are more bothered about sending their pupils to uni to boost their stats rather than actually helping them, and talk about alternatives to uni (e.g. apprenticeships, there are many available and is often a better route than uni for some careers).
Is this possible for me to switch, from Psychology to Psychology and Crimonology? I want to do this without doing first year again. Anyone been able to switch from single to joint honours after year 1 and got any advice?

Thanks
Original post by Girlgogogo
Is this possible for me to switch, from Psychology to Psychology and Crimonology? I want to do this without doing first year again. Anyone been able to switch from single to joint honours after year 1 and got any advice?

Thanks

Email the departments at your university and ask. They definitely award a joint honours degree in these two?
Just make sure you'd still get your psychology accreditation.
Original post by 04MR17
Email the departments at your university and ask. They definitely award a joint honours degree in these two?
Just make sure you'd still get your psychology accreditation.

hey yes they do. have you heard of any cases where this has been done? and if I get a no is there any point in me trying to persuade them?
I did single honours first year, and second year I want to make it joint. in your personal experience did your uni allow you to move into another joint honours for second year although you didn't study it first year?

I am going from psychology to psychology and criminology. My uni however think the majors in pshyc and not crim, as the pshyc modules first year are mandorty to go into second (which I have got) but the crim ones aren't. But obviously first year crim I still haven't done so im unsure if they'll let me.

I want to go into second year and not do first year again. Is this unheard of?

Their office is closed till Monday so im in a panicked situation as there's no way for me to get any advice, and my course begins Monday. someone help!
I did single honours first year, and second year I want to make it joint. in your personal experience did your uni allow you to move into another joint honours for second year although you didn't study it first year?

I am going from psychology to psychology and criminology. My uni however think the majors in pshyc and not crim, as the pshyc modules first year are mandorty to go into second (which I have got) but the crim ones aren't. But obviously first year crim I still haven't done so im unsure if they'll let me.

I want to go into second year and not do first year again. Is this unheard of?

Their office is closed till Monday so im in a panicked situation as there's no way for me to get any advice, and my course begins Monday. someone help!

Only the uni can say. You will have to ask and wait.
Maybe talk to the criminology department as well to see if they have joint students.
Some unis are more flexible than others.
Original post by 999tigger
Only the uni can say. You will have to ask and wait.
Maybe talk to the criminology department as well to see if they have joint students.
Some unis are more flexible than others.

hey thanks for replying
yes it is a course the university definitely offers. its got its own course code. its just a question of if they'll let me do second year crim without having done first year crim. for our uni only second and third year count. I have heard from a staff member that classics and history student has once done that but the pshyc department at our uni are very strict so I don't know. and my course starts on Monday and offices are closed till then sadly, hence im trying to ask on here :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
hey thanks for replying
yes it is a course the university definitely offers. its got its own course code. its just a question of if they'll let me do second year crim without having done first year crim. for our uni only second and third year count. I have heard from a staff member that classics and history student has once done that but the pshyc department at our uni are very strict so I don't know. and my course starts on Monday and offices are closed till then sadly, hence im trying to ask on here :smile:

People on here cant say what your particular uni will do as its their discretion. They might rule it out immediately or they make time to get back to you.
You cant do anything without Crim willing to cater for you.
Original post by 999tigger
People on here cant say what your particular uni will do as its their discretion. They might rule it out immediately or they make time to get back to you.
You cant do anything without Crim willing to cater for you.

appreciate your help!! I guess its a case of begging them and persuading them to allow me to do so :smile:

Quick Reply