Chemistry - 9
Maths - 9
History - 8
Biology- 8
English literature - 7
Business + Economics -A
English language- 6
Spanish - 4

So 8 A*-A grades which looks good to me but does it look got to a dentistry school? Do the 6 + 4 make it singificantly weaker. My teacher said ' something is better than nothing' hence why I did not drop spanish lol.

A level predicted:
A* A* A, which I will get in the 4th dimension.

UCAT:
- 660 avg.
- VR: 530 PANICKED.
- DM: 650
- QR: 740
- AR: 720
- SJ: Band 2.

Decent personal statement, but not the best. - got some work exp dental practice + care home, life changing event causing me to do this course, interest in science - read some books. Prefect, teaching assistant. - Huh does not seem that bad when I say it like that.

Where should I apply? Where should I not apply?
Assuming the only thing I am concerned with is getting interviews - forget ranking ( which is apparently not important for dentistry in terms of getting a job - is this true?),location, male:female ratio XD, and anything else you guys come up with lol.

How competitive am I for kings college london dentistry, kings college dentistry enhanced programme, bristol BDS, Bristol gateway to dentistry ( I'd ask teachers to decrease predicted grades) especially looking at these courses?
Will not do BMAT so forget Leeds and rule out some other unis since they only don't do undergraduate dentistry.
Wow, those are amazing predicted and GCSE grades. I'm not doing Dentistry (Im doing Medicine and I want to improve on my A-level subjects), and hence can't really give advice. But do you have any tutor that teaches you? I am thinking of getting one but I don't know if it would help :/
student0299
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m not entirely sure about the widening participation or gateway programmes. But you should be good for Bristol. Kings is a bit of a risk but with your good predicted grades you stand a fairly good chance. I’m pretty sure you’ll be good for QMUL too. Sheffield probably not because they do say you can compensate with academic grades but it’s risky for you. And the same with Liverpool. Plymouth is fine. Manchester is fine. Birmingham probably no. Newcastle risky but may be okay
student0299
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also I haven’t mentioned any unis in Scotland or Queens Belfast. Were you looking at applying here too?
HecticG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aspirin'Dentist)
Nope just myself in my bedroom
But in year 13 Imma start going to library cuz it gets way too comfy in bedroom.
How many hours would you be revising a day and how do you study Biology and Chemistry (I'm guessing you study those as they are typical subjects for dentistry and medicine). By the way I do biology, chemistry and sociology.
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly, I neglected majority of my a level studies for the ucat hence why I'm looking at gateway, I lack info + stats to see if its worth risk to apply to gateway so i'm unsure if I should risk. Does it help if I email the uni of my chances?
But swear down now that ucat is imma bang out a levels.
For bio + chem I have kerboodle books given by school + I used tailored tutors ( recommend this).youtube. But aside from that I guess I just study like everyone else e.g flashcards, practice questions, make sure you know all content covered in class, pre-read on topic before class, consolidate after class...
Yh tailored tutors is very expensive- did you buy it for all your 3 subjects for the whole year? If yes, how much did it cost. Also as you said you consolidate after class, what do you mean by that? I'm looking for detailed advice because I want to do really good in my alevels as well. And you're the perfect person to get advice from
student0299
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How can I find out if I am competitive for gateway to dentistry because I really don't know if I can get A*A*A this year, and if I am competitive enough I'm willing to take the risk of putting all my eggs in one basket.
Also for enhanced kings?
( btw I think I meet criteria for contextual offers)
What do you mean? As in are you a suitable candidate for the gateway programme? If you’re not sure I would talk to the admissions team and ask whether it’s worth applying for the gateway programme instead
onlyangel7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your UCAT is pretty high, so you are more likely to get an interview for Newcastle as they use UCAT and personal statement to select. Also you said you’re worried about not getting AAA, so you could see if you’d be eligible for the Partners programme at Newcastle which would give you an offer of ABB for Dentistry.
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bristol normal BDS contextual is ABB as well,
Plymouth contextual is AAB
Kings enhanced sometimes gives all the way down to BBB
Normal kings BDS course - A*AA
qmul - A*AA
good variation here, I think Ill be apply to
Bristol normal, Kings enhanced, Normal kings, qmul.
2 low, 2 high.
Maybe ill forget gateway as it will be unrealistic to be sure of an interview but this way I know I can expect at least one interview, with my other good enough stats.

Yeah im just going to get a grip.
Hey man, you forgot to answer my questions yesterday...
As tailored tutors is very expensive, did you buy it for all your 3 subjects for the whole year? If yes, how much did it cost (I may think of getting it).

Also as you said you consolidate after class, what do you mean by that- like how do you do it? I don't really know how to do that.

Also, how many hours do you revise each day (outside of school) and do you do any revision in the morning before school? If you do revise in the morning before school, for how many hours do you do so?

Also for UCAT, which Medify mock was most representative of the real test- in which medify mock, did you score closest to the real exam?

Also any advice for SJ ? Like are the scenarios different to those on medify or is it similar? Like what was the difference?

For AR, what were some of the rules you found?

For VR, were the passages longer than those on medify? Also, were the inference and T/F/CT qs just as hard as compared to medify or even harder?

Thanks in advance for all this help man- hopefully I can push up my grades and we both reach our goals- you can reach your dentist school and I can reach my preferred medical school . Afterall, you are clearly the right person to get advice from, as verified from your grades . Yet again, would be appreciative if you answered all the questions I asked here.
Last edited by HecticG; 4 weeks ago
An02
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok here are my stats bois:

GCSE:
RE - 9
Physics - 9
Chemistry - 9
Maths - 9
History - 8
Biology- 8
English literature - 7
Business + Economics -A
English language- 6
Spanish - 4

So 8 A*-A grades which looks good to me but does it look got to a dentistry school? Do the 6 + 4 make it singificantly weaker. My teacher said ' something is better than nothing' hence why I did not drop spanish lol.

A level predicted:
A* A* A, which I will get in the 4th dimension.

UCAT:
- 660 avg.
- VR: 530 PANICKED.
- DM: 650
- QR: 740
- AR: 720
- SJ: Band 2.

Decent personal statement, but not the best. - got some work exp dental practice + care home, life changing event causing me to do this course, interest in science - read some books. Prefect, teaching assistant. - Huh does not seem that bad when I say it like that.

Where should I apply? Where should I not apply?
Assuming the only thing I am concerned with is getting interviews - forget ranking ( which is apparently not important for dentistry in terms of getting a job - is this true?),location, male:female ratio XD, and anything else you guys come up with lol.

How competitive am I for kings college london dentistry, kings college dentistry enhanced programme, bristol BDS, Bristol gateway to dentistry ( I'd ask teachers to decrease predicted grades) especially looking at these courses?
Will not do BMAT so forget Leeds and rule out some other unis since they only don't do undergraduate dentistry.
From what I have heard kings college are pretty ucat heavy so maybe don't apply there??? tbh its your choice but you need to make sure that you don't waste any of your options
An02
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
also I don't think you can apply to the bristol gateway because I'm pretty sure you can't apply if your predicted grades are higher than AAB idk maybe check that to assure yourself???
Sudanidoll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly, I neglected majority of my a level studies for the ucat hence why I'm looking at gateway, I lack info + stats to see if its worth risk to apply to gateway so i'm unsure if I should risk. Does it help if I email the uni of my chances?
For bio + chem I have kerboodle books given by school + I used tailored tutors ( recommend this).youtube. But aside from that I guess I just study like everyone else e.g flashcards, practice questions, make sure you know all content covered in class, pre-read on topic before class, consolidate after class...
And oh yeah, make a plan and follow the plan.
I have my UCAT this Thursday , i've left everything late as at the end of year 12 I was told I was going to retake if I didn't do well In the last chance exam. I had no hope as I tried hard for the end of year exams. Now that I got into year 13 and past , I believe I can do Dentistry. Like I said i've left everything quite late so I haven't even done any dental work experience and haven't started my personal statement as I have no Dental work experience to input. I feel like I relate to your situation.
An02
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yea I would have asked to decrease my predicted grades so I could apply to this and not do much work this year but that would be too risk cuz then I would not be able to apply to any other uni's, so I'm just going to do it the normal way and work hard this yr.

Uni's imma apply for:
- kings normal BDS ( a*aa)
- qmul BDS( a*aa)
- kings enhanced BDS ( aaa - bbb)
- bristol normal BDS ( abb)

I know they are ucat heavy uni's but with the fact my score will probably fall in the 7th decile (2640) this year I think I stand a chance for at least 1 or 2 interviews.. Am I wrong?
Seems like the overall cohort did better this year for ucat than last year :/
obviously unis are pretty unpredictable and you never really know what might happen, so go for it if you really want to. have you looked at manchester uni?
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And oh yeah, make a plan and follow the plan.
Hey man, you didn't answer my questions i asked on the previous page. I know you probably don't want to give advice because you want to get the best grade from everyone, but I am applying for medicine- my application won't affect yours. I would be very appreciative if you answer all me questions on the previous page. (you don't realise but your help can help me get into medical school)
Chicken tenders
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HecticG)
Hey man, you didn't answer my questions i asked on the previous page. I know you probably don't want to give advice because you want to get the best grade from everyone, but I am applying for medicine- my application won't affect yours. I would be very appreciative if you answer all me questions on the previous page. (you don't realise but your help can help me get into medical school)
My guess is that he didnt want to answer because you asked like 6 different questions in the same post, not because you're competing with him.
I'll try to answer some though.
VR, I found the passages to be longer, I didn't get a single short one, just my luck I think. Also found the language to be far more complicated, ended up guessing half the time.
As for SJT, the scenarios are similar but the passages are longer, even with the longer passages you wont be very time pressured.
For AR, there is little to no point to giving you some "rules" as there are far too many and most of us figured them out for ourselves through practice. Just use SCANS as a starting point.
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chicken tenders)
My guess is that he didnt want to answer because you asked like 6 different questions in the same post, not because you're competing with him.
I'll try to answer some though.
VR, I found the passages to be longer, I didn't get a single short one, just my luck I think. Also found the language to be far more complicated, ended up guessing half the time.
As for SJT, the scenarios are similar but the passages are longer, even with the longer passages you wont be very time pressured.
For AR, there is little to no point to giving you some "rules" as there are far too many and most of us figured them out for ourselves through practice. Just use SCANS as a starting point.
Yh I'm not competing with him anyways and I cannot even compete with someone on the caliber anyways lol.
And about the SJT, do you mean you will or you won't feel time pressured. I feel that you wrote "wont" accidentally.
But thanks for the advice
Chicken tenders
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HecticG)
Yh I'm not competing with him anyways and I cannot even compete with someone on the caliber anyways lol.
And about the SJT, do you mean you will or you won't feel time pressured. I feel that you wrote "wont" accidentally.
But thanks for the advice
No, SJT is definitely the least time pressured of the 5 sections, I ended up with 2 minutes spare at the end.
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lel there's many people better than me in terms of stats so I dont think I am of that 'caliber' even if u r referring to me. And anyways my school gave out A* predicted grades to anyone compared to grammer/private schools so yh.

I bought if for bio + chem as I think AS maths is pretty easy, and so far A2 has not been impossible to do by myself so yh I only needed bio + chem to help guide what I needed to know for my specifications. I know they are quite expensive. I got them for all of year 1 + still using them because I love it. All their costs are on their web, I only got the content guide btw.
After class i'd just check my notes were up to standard + create flashcards on that topic in my free/after school + if you wanna you could also do a few more online eq's on that topic.

I had to do morning revision for school whilst I was revising for ucat but only like 1.5 hrs. This period of time where I was doing ucat + A2 was very stress and I could still not balance it correctly but now ucat is done I have a lot of a2 work I need to catch up on and like 3 tests next week in school so this week going to be a bit heavy.
Over this weekend I've done 6 hrs of effective conditional probability study ( this is a maths topic) - this was a A2 topic my school covered last year and I was too lazy to do it and got a test on it this week so yeah I had to do this. But this is pretty typical.

For SJ I found the scenarios to be pretty similar and on the same themes covered on medify, defo recommend doing ucat website sj q's for more practice.
All my ( crap ) ucat advice is in ucat 2019 megathread, for qr was harder than medify minimock 3 but easier than medify mini mock 5.

For AR the rules were pretty simple, e.g one rule was '' majority black set a, majority white set b'' but I can't remember any others, but I found practice to be key for AR go across as many rules as you can for AR and it will just click. But just take this with a '' pinch of salt'' xD.But generally I've heard many people say AR is easier in the exam, I followed medify systematic approach if I was stuck. Just practice as much as you can and come across as many patterns as you can.
For QR it is defo easier than official resources, that I can say for a fact.

VR was absolutely hard. I think for VR you can either do it or not, and it probably depends on how much you have read through your whole life. The t/f/ct q's were also very hard and I could barely find keywords , vr was just aids. But I still managed to score a 530, which is my lowest sub - section score and let me down but still like it's still something, so don't stress and just try your hardest.

Good luck, I thought I was going to do so bad but my score will probably still likely fall in 7th decile and is not overall crap. So just practice + keep ur head up.

Generally Ucat is aids. It's an unfair exam and I could easily have gotten much worse than 660 avg.

Idk if I answered your q's properly, if I have not just tell me and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Thanks for the advice man. Lots of questions incoming...

1) Regarding your 3 amazing A* predicted grades, do you ever revise in the mornings, before school, for your studies in school? I know you did it for UCAT, but did you do it for biology chemistry and maths?

2) For the UCAT calculator in the QR section, when you moved onto the next question, did your calculator clear (e.g: the previous calculation which you did, was it removed?) Also, to remove a number from the memory, did you have to press "mrc" twice or did you have to press "m-" then "mrc" ?

3) Which Medify full mock was most representative of the real test (which mock was closest to your results) ?

4) For tailored tutors, do you think I should buy the ultimate guide (content and exam guide) ? As you have the content guide, what do you say are the advantages of having it? And also do they teach you about EVERYTHING on the specification? I might not get the ultimate guide, because it's too expensive but what do you think is the advantages of the exam guide?

5) Do you know any other good websites for biology, as I can't seem to know any

Yet again, thanks A LOT for advice.
Last edited by HecticG; 4 weeks ago
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on amount of work I have to do if I am going to do extra studies in morning, but I never did this in year 12.
Yeah the calculator cleared when I went on to the next page.
I never used shortcut to remove number from memory.
I never used the ultimate guide. The content guide is useful, and shows you what you have to know. You can try it out for a month and see what happens.
Physicsandmathstutor.com has loads of q's for bio.
freeexampapers.com has loads of q's.
Youtube.
And I forgot to ask, which Medify full mock was most representative of the real test (which mock was closest to your results) ?

Also, what do you mean by, you didn't use any shortcut to remove the number from memory? Like how did you remove the answer from memory once it was in, in the real exam?

Are you planning to revise in the morning for Year 13? If yes, GOOD LUCK. I can never do that lol.

And just so I know how long I should do revision for to get good grades like you, how many hours do you revise for on Fridays, saturdays and sundays?

How do you find a balance between work and free time- like are Fridays your free time. And how many hours do you revise for before getting a break (e.g: do you revise for 2 hours then a break or full on 4 hours without a break)?

HOPEFULLY this would be the last of my questions lol. But as I said, I want grades like you man
HecticG
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't have medify membership any longer so I can't tell you which one was most representative.
I use the on/off button to remove any calculations on calculator.
revise in the morning for yr 13? Idk.
Idk about how many hrs, just make a list of wt u need to do and then do it.
Yeah I guess I have that one off day a week.
I revise for 50 min then stop then come back in like 10 mins, till I get my work done.
Btw A*A*A was my predicted, not my actual grades. And I found AS pretty much like gcse so it was not hard to get the predicted so I probably am not the best year 13'er out there lol.
Ok I'm guessing you didn't know how to use the calculator properly then. You are able to save a number on the calculator, and the top left of the screen should say "M"- this way your calculations could have been much faster- watch a video about it (but I guess you don't need to as your exam has finished).

On AVERAGE, how many hours would you do on Saturdays and sundays ? (I need a numerical value so I could tailor myself to that). Just to confirm (so that I don't mess up my timetable), you use Fridays as a day to chill right- so you do NO work and just chill ? (if you do work on this day, do you only do like an hour and then chill or...)

Do you think it is good to revise for 2 hours then take a break or your method?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads