sophiew1821
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently in year 13 and I really want to do computer science at university - I didn't know till last year what I wanted to study at which point it was too late to take maths A-level. I do physics, biology and computer science A-level.

Just wondering if anyone had any university suggestions for my situation. I have already looked at Loughborough uni (they do a foundation year for cs with no maths needed in order to get on to the main course) and Sussex. Unis that provide a foundation year for cs will also be appreciated
thanks
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's a thread at the top of this forum with some universities which don't require Maths, including a few which will accept Computer Science A-Level instead of Maths: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5007920

Also remember nearly all of the 'new' (i.e. ex-polytechnic) universities also don't require Maths because those courses tend to be heavily focused on technical skills (e.g. programming, databases, networks, security, hardware, etc) and less emphasis on the pure computer science stuff which is more about maths, logic, problem solving, theory, etc. The universities which require maths tend to be in/around the top-20.
sophiew1821
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
There's a thread at the top of this forum with some universities which don't require Maths, including a few which will accept Computer Science A-Level instead of Maths: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5007920

Also remember nearly all of the 'new' (i.e. ex-polytechnic) universities also don't require Maths because those courses tend to be heavily focused on technical skills (e.g. programming, databases, networks, security, hardware, etc) and less emphasis on the pure computer science stuff which is more about maths, logic, problem solving, theory, etc.
oh wow, I didn't see that, thank you; this is very useful!
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
best to worst:
leeds
Lancaster
nottingham
King college London
Newcastle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads