Why does Churchill require an A* in further maths for physnatsci? Watch

dysentry95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have just been looking at the 'Typical offers by college' sheet, and I have noticed that Churchill is the only college that asks for an A* in further maths (if taken). Does anyone know the reason for this? Was it recent?

They also specify an A* in physics or chemistry. Anyone who gets an A* in further maths will obviously get one in maths, so they are basically asking for three A*s, no? Doesn't this make it much harder to get into than other colleges for physnatsci?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Other colleges can require one of the A*s be in FM; Churchill obviously decided they expect it often enough to just make it a standard requirement. Historically Churchill was somewhat renowned as the "science" college, and it does have a lot of NatSci students (although most colleges due, by virtue of it being the largest course in the university).

Just apply to another college if you're concerned about meeting the requirement. Bear in mind though, other colleges can set offers above the minimum for individual applicants, and can specify A*s be in particular subjects. How often this happens, I'm not sure, but it has been commented on as a way some colleges use to discriminate among borderline applicants, to see which can "stretch" to achieve the high offer.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dysentry95)
Doesn't this make it much harder to get into than other colleges for physnatsci?
In theory yes, in practice probably not; the average successful applicant for sciences has 3 A*'s anyway even though the requirement is 2, and conversely if you miss a college specific offer but get the general university one you have a decent chance of getting into another college via the summer pool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads