Did you make friends at uni when commuting?

Watch this thread
Panickingdiscos
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Honestly?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Yes.
Miaaa_wolf
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
personally for me yes, but I think that was due to the fact that there were more people commuting than staying on campus
Emily_B
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes.
My first undergrad degree in German & History: those few languages students who commuted made the effort to integrate made the effort to; in the history group pretty much all of the commuting students were mature students (and all over 30 at that).
My 2nd undergrad degree in Nursing, at least 1/3 of us "commuted" (some of us who commuted lived closer than those in uni accommodation, others had a 160mile round trip). We all made friends.
You just have to make an effort in a different way if you're commuting - unlike a proportion of the group, you're not moving out and into uni accommodation, but that doesn't stop you from talking to people. Those who you make friends with in the first week may not be your best friends by graduation...
JamesManc
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah you can, I commuted for my postgraduate and defo made friends moreso than when I lived in the city for my undergraduate, but that is because I was less confident when 18 y.o. i speak to noone from undegrdaute now but a few from MSc. It's more to do with you than the distance. But if you are younger and an undergraduate I can 100% see that not commuting would be better as you can mix more with your hall
mates, drink together, and just be with each other every day without having to travel. You can just get up out of your bed and walk down the hall and talk to someone else. Proximity (i.e. geographical closeness) is the biggest factor in friendships psychologists say.
Last edited by JamesManc; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
42.29%
The paper was reasonable (225)
42.86%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.71%

Watched Threads