The Student Room Group

MSc after my BSc Adult Nursing

Hi guys.

So I’m confused about something..
I've finished my BSc Undergraduate Adult Nursing course of 3 years this year & I am successfully graduating in October.
I'd love to do a Masters next!
Although I have a job offer which I am pleased with & accepted (AMU) and will start in November.

I am still interested in Msc and aiming higher to gain more knowledge!

The MSc I should be after (according to everyone I have asked), they say its the 'Advanced Clinical Practice' course MSc Post-Graduate course which is the Masters for Adult Nursing.
Although, there is one problem.. I really wanted to do my masters next year but this course's requirement is like after 3-5 years of working??

Do I really have to wait that long to do my Masters in Nursing?? It's so long..!?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this correct? Any alternatives..?

Thanks guys.
Original post by aaylinyilmaaz
Hi guys.

So I’m confused about something..
I've finished my BSc Undergraduate Adult Nursing course of 3 years this year & I am successfully graduating in October.
I'd love to do a Masters next!
Although I have a job offer which I am pleased with & accepted (AMU) and will start in November.

I am still interested in Msc and aiming higher to gain more knowledge!

The MSc I should be after (according to everyone I have asked), they say its the 'Advanced Clinical Practice' course MSc Post-Graduate course which is the Masters for Adult Nursing.
Although, there is one problem.. I really wanted to do my masters next year but this course's requirement is like after 3-5 years of working??

Do I really have to wait that long to do my Masters in Nursing?? It's so long..!?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this correct? Any alternatives..?

Thanks guys.

It's a course designed to be part of your continued professional development, then they do usually require you to have some professional experience first to draw on - otherwise you won't be experienced enough to get the most out of the course.
Right.. yeah i know :smile: Thanks. But are there any type of masters people can do straight after their Adult Nursing Bsc? Or is it just that one (Advanced Clinical Practice)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It's a course designed to be part of your continued professional development, then they do usually require you to have some professional experience first to draw on - otherwise you won't be experienced enough to get the most out of the course.

Right.. yeah i know :smile: Thanks. But are there any type of masters people can do straight after their Adult Nursing Bsc? Or is it just that one (Advanced Clinical Practice)?

I don't think there is, unless you want to change careers (in which case, the experience you've gained before won't matter). Is there a reason why you want to do a master's straight after your undergrad? Usually in healthcare, experience > qualifications up to a certain pay grade, so having a master's too soon wouldn't affect your pay grade that early on.

You can study any masters you like (provided you meet the entry requirements) and provided it isn't one such as advanced practice which requires several years of experience.

Realistically there is almost no benefit to completing a masters immediately after your nursing degree. You will still start jobs at the bottom of band 5 like everyone else, and may find your career plans change requiring you do to a different masters at a later date. You also need to consider revalidation and your clinical skills - taking time out to complete a masters may make you less appealing to employers as you may have lost some of your skills.

The best thing to do is to get at least a year or two of experience, work out what area you want to work in and then do a masters focused on your development in that area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending