2:2 OxBridge MSc, First Class UD at a Reputable University, Oxbridge DPhil odds? Watch

VarZh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
2:2 is apparently too low for anything. (btw, my transcript does not show classification, it only shows a "pass" grade). I am 8 points under the department's minimum. My only strength is strong interest by my supervisor, major conference presentations and 1 co-authored paper accepted by an impactful journal. My undergrad grade is a first class but it is a bit remote now.

Should I even bother to try? Funding is a concern for me. My understanding is that a 2:2 would not be considered for any funding.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by VarZh)
Slim, but how much do you want it versus the cost of an application?

But more importantly, why are you calling a Masters classification a 2.2? If you got a 1st and undergrad and 59% at Masters, you got 59%, not a 2.2. That class grading is for undergrad degrees.

A first at undergrad and a pass at Masters is stronger than anything that mentions a 2.2. Try an application and see, at least you'll know for sure.
VarZh
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Slim, but how much do you want it versus the cost of an application?

But more importantly, why are you calling a Masters classification a 2.2? If you got a 1st and undergrad and 59% at Masters, you got 59%, not a 2.2. That class grading is for undergrad degrees.

A first at undergrad and a pass at Masters is stronger than anything that mentions a 2.2. Try an application and see, at least you'll know for sure.
Thanks for your reply. I am a middle pass. My transcript does not say 2:2. I am 8 points lower than the minimum requirement by Oxford and do not meet the requirement of distinction by Cambridge -- but will try .
ferrus_manus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why is your MSc a big deal? Most PG programs only ask for a strong first degree, which a 1st in undergraduate would be very competitive...
VarZh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ferrus_manus)
Why is your MSc a big deal? Most PG programs only ask for a strong first degree, which a 1st in undergraduate would be very competitive...
Thanks for your reply. So the minimum requirement for my targeted program is 67 (high merit)... Usually only people with 2:1 + get funding for phd Programs ... my supervisor also asked for a 67.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Low, and applications are time-consuming but you have nothing to lose in the attempt.
VarZh
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Low, and applications are time-consuming but you have nothing to lose in the attempt.
Right. Thanks for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.81%
No (192)
76.19%

Watched Threads