Do you think intelligence can be measured/assumed by subject choices?

Watch
Fxzxvo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I take A-Levels English Lit, sociology and psychology - I have had comments about my subject choices and how i am not academic enough.

Would you be surprised if I told you I recieved 10 A*-As at GCSE?

This post is merely out of interest as I want to explore the question above
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think everyone is good at different things so no, intelligence isn’t measured by your subject choices.
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No i don’t think subject choices have much to do with intelligence at all - more to do with personal interest.
nzy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Agree with all the above. I will say though, at least at my sixth form, some particular subjects tend to attract students who aren't unintelligent per say - just that they were convinced it was an 'easy' subject they could get a decent grade in without much effort so they could f around for 2 years. What wasn't very intelligent of them was to think there was any A-Level subject where this is the case :/
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
People have different interests and with those interests come varying levels of strength in certain capabilities.

A Math student might have a high level of problem-solving ability when it comes down to numeracy.
An English Literature student may have high levels of written ability combined with perception and above-average imagination.

We are all good at different things, so comparing intelligence as a sum is pointless.
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Fxzxvo)
I take A-Levels English Lit, sociology and psychology - I have had comments about my subject choices and how i am not academic enough.

Would you be surprised if I told you I recieved 10 A*-As at GCSE?

This post is merely out of interest as I want to explore the question above
Honestly speaking, yes that would surprise me. People think I’m smart for doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A level, without knowing I got 5s and 6s at GCSE.

Just how subjects are perceived I guess.
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
like everyone above, subject choice is down to preference eg. you could be brilliant at maths but not be interested in pursuing if further so that doesn't mean you aren't intelligent
amelia_jasinski
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
In my opinion, subject choice does not determine intelligence as, honestly speaking, pretty much all A-level subjects are intellectually and academically challenging
You have chosen more essay-based A-levels which will include a lot of evaluation and weighing up different viewpoints to reach a conclusion of your own (I did Sociology), which to me is a very academic skill
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (120)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.35%
Isolating with family (51)
6.62%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.9%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.57%
Loneliness (81)
10.52%
Financial worries (32)
4.16%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed