Do I pay back the Bursary after leaving? Watch

Honey007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi there!

I recently left nursing due to being unhappy in the course. I switched degrees but I finished the full first year of nursing including all three placements and portfolio / exams completed.

Super worried about Bursary repayments? I thought if you finished full terms you wouldn’t be asked to pay the money back. Now i’m not sure.

Any advice???? Thank you 😊
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Honey007)
Hi there!

I recently left nursing due to being unhappy in the course. I switched degrees but I finished the full first year of nursing including all three placements and portfolio / exams completed.

Super worried about Bursary repayments? I thought if you finished full terms you wouldn’t be asked to pay the money back. Now i’m not sure.

Any advice???? Thank you 😊
You might have to pay part of the last month's back.
Honey007
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
You might have to pay part of the last month's back.
Thank you for getting back! I completed the full year which finished after my third placement. Handed my portfolio in etc.

I got a voicemail from ‘no Caller ID’ about it but it seemed sketchy. So I am very stressed 🙃
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I thought bursaries were non-repayable like grants and only loans needed to be paid back.
Honey007
Rep:
?
They don’t need to be paid back but because I left at the end of first year I’m wondering if that is what they are looking back.

I believe if you leave in your first term of first year they don’t chase you to pay it back.
lilopp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You definitely won't need to pay back any portion of your bursary as you fully completed all three stages. If you left a week or so early then you would repay that weeks equivalent etc.

Don't worry.

If you're extra unsure give SF a ring tomorrow and they will clarify.
Honey007
Rep:
?
Oh my days thank you!!

Really hoping so cause that voicemail stressed me out. They said they had corresponded with me and I am now in arrears. But..I have had no emails, no letters, nothing apart from that phone call.

I finished the three semesters of first year and passed. If they need a weeks payment then that’s better than the entire year!!
lilopp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Honey007)
Oh my days thank you!!

Really hoping so cause that voicemail stressed me out. They said they had corresponded with me and I am now in arrears. But..I have had no emails, no letters, nothing apart from that phone call.

I finished the three semesters of first year and passed. If they need a weeks payment then that’s better than the entire year!!
Nobody should be contacting you via. voicemail about anything to do with money. You will always get a letter or e-mail as it's written evidence that the correspondence has taken place.

Bursaries are granted to aid studies as they are happening, and as you studied for each segment of bursary you received - there's no reason to pay them back as presumably you used them to 'aid' yourself during those time frames.

Well done you for persevering through and completing the first year, but also for recognising and admitting that it wasn't the path for you. The amount of people who feel that but feel obliged to keep going despite is ridiculous so it takes a lot of strength. Bravo
Honey007
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilopp)
Nobody should be contacting you via. voicemail about anything to do with money. You will always get a letter or e-mail as it's written evidence that the correspondence has taken place.

Bursaries are granted to aid studies as they are happening, and as you studied for each segment of bursary you received - there's no reason to pay them back as presumably you used them to 'aid' yourself during those time frames.

Well done you for persevering through and completing the first year, but also for recognising and admitting that it wasn't the path for you. The amount of people who feel that but feel obliged to keep going despite is ridiculous so it takes a lot of strength. Bravo
You’re a gem! Made me feel so much better ❤️

I just listened to the voicemail again and they said it’s to do with the invoice they sent on the 30th of August. They state my name and say “late withdrawal from your nursing course” that I now “owe arrears”.

I only had finished placement on the 26th of August and left officially on I think the fifth of September. I have received no letters or anything about it. So I’m worried that maybe the letters just got lost in the post??

How did they find my name and know I left nursing?

They said BSO which is the Northern Irish Bursary Office. How do they know all this info?

Thank you so much!! Appreciate it. No one should be made to feel bad for following what they actually feel is right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?