The Student Room Group

Student Finance - UK National - Temporary EU Residence

Hi

I am hoping to apply to attend University in 2021. This will be my first Degree course and first experience of Student Finance.

I am a UK National and have been a resident of the UK for my entire life. My wife is a teacher and is currently working a 2 year fixed term contract, teaching in Europe. We are temporarily living in the EU for this reason and returning to the UK in 2021.

This is purely a temporary venture and we fully intend to return to the UK as permanent residents at the end of the contract.

My question is, based on these circumstances, am I likely to be eligible for student finance?

Thanks you for your help.
UK nationals living in the EU are eligible for funding.

Even if the rules change due to brexit then temporary stays overseas don’t change your ordinary residency. Even living elsewhere then you’ll be classed as a UK resident if you can prove that the stay is temporary (using fixed term visas or work contracts).
Original post by jimmydin90
Hi

I am hoping to apply to attend University in 2021. This will be my first Degree course and first experience of Student Finance.

I am a UK National and have been a resident of the UK for my entire life. My wife is a teacher and is currently working a 2 year fixed term contract, teaching in Europe. We are temporarily living in the EU for this reason and returning to the UK in 2021.

This is purely a temporary venture and we fully intend to return to the UK as permanent residents at the end of the contract.

My question is, based on these circumstances, am I likely to be eligible for student finance?

Thanks you for your help.

Hi there,

So far, you have the Right to Roam so you can still get your full funding with no temporary breaks within the EU taken into account.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

So far, you have the Right to Roam so you can still get your full funding with no temporary breaks within the EU taken into account.

Regards,
Nihad

This sounds really positive, thank for your replies. It has gone some way to putting my mind at rest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending