JLeiden
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a 17 yr old UK passport holder who was born in and has lived entire life in Italy.The only passport I hold is UK. I can apply for Italian citizenship when I turn 18. I am not sure what to put on ucas form for residental category. Other seems suitable only for internationals. I understanding that I am not eligible for student finance/home finance/English loans ( will apply in Italy). I just do not want to be in international for # of students admitted each year for medicine.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JLeiden)
I am a 17 yr old UK passport holder who was born in and has lived entire life in Italy.The only passport I hold is UK. I can apply for Italian citizenship when I turn 18. I am not sure what to put on ucas form for residental category. Other seems suitable only for internationals. I understanding that I am not eligible for student finance/home finance/English loans ( will apply in Italy). I just do not want to be in international for # of students admitted each year for medicine.
AFIAK, if you're living in Italy, you should select that you are an EU student. Status is based on residency as well as the passport you hold.
JLeiden
Rep:
?
None of boxes fit. It says EU (non UK) Other means international & I was advised not to check it. I attachd forms to my reply.
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just wondering, why do you have a UK passport when you’re born and raised in Italy. It’s probably an obvious reason but I’m clueless about these things lmao
JLeiden
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Just wondering, why do you have a UK passport when you’re born and raised in Italy. It’s probably an obvious reason but I’m clueless about these things lmao
My parent and both his parents/grandparents are UK. I have been in England to spend time with family quite often.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I've looked at the form and can see your problem. There is no obvious solution as you do not fit into any of the residential categories they offer, viz.

Choose a residential category...
UK Citizen - England
UK Citizen - Scotland
UK Citizen - Wales
UK Citizen - Northern Ireland
British Citizen - Channel Islands and Isle of Man
British Citizen - British Overseas Territories
EU National (non-UK Citizen)
EEA or Swiss National
Child of a Turkish Worker
Refugee
Humanitarian Protection or similar
Settled in the UK
Other

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter which box you tick -- the university will determine your fee status. I think you will clearly be assessed for EU fees (i.e. the same as a British resident) when you enter university in 2020. As you say, you will need to apply for student finance in Italy.

Why don't you giva UCAS a call setting out your query? +44 330 3330 230. Ask them which box to tick.

Please let us know what they told you!
JLeiden
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Yes, I've looked at the form and can see your problem. There is no obvious solution as you do not fit into any of the residential categories they offer, viz.

Choose a residential category...
UK Citizen - England
UK Citizen - Scotland
UK Citizen - Wales
UK Citizen - Northern Ireland
British Citizen - Channel Islands and Isle of Man
British Citizen - British Overseas Territories
EU National (non-UK Citizen)
EEA or Swiss National
Child of a Turkish Worker
Refugee
Humanitarian Protection or similar
Settled in the UK
Other

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter which box you tick -- the university will determine your fee status. I think you will clearly be assessed for EU fees (i.e. the same as a British resident) when you enter university in 2020. As you say, you will need to apply for student finance in Italy.

Why don't you giva UCAS a call setting out your query? +44 330 3330 230. Ask them which box to tick.

Please let us know what they told you!
They said not allowed to advise.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They said not allowed to advise.
Strange seeing as it's their form.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The ucas categories are rubbish.

Put EU (non UK). That should be fine. Universities know that the ucas categories are rubbish.
Carshee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I need a quick help regarding UCAS application
I hold an Indian passport.
Date of first entry to UK- 2015
Nationality- Indian
Residential category- Since I did not fit into the main categories, I chose "others" and followed the Questions to determine your provisional status

Q1 Are you a UK or EU national or the direct descendant (child or grandchild) or the spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU national?
NO go to question 6

Q6 Are you an EU national or the direct descendant (child or grandchild) or the spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU national?
NO go to question 8
Q8 For any of that three year period, have you only been living in the EU, EEA, Switzerland or OT to receive full-time education?
NO code: EU national (non-UK citizen) (I selected NO because, I am a PBS dependent)
Hence, I selected EU national (non-UK citizen) in the residential category.
Now, I see in one of my choices "This course vacancy is for Home/EU applicants. If you are unsure whether your status is Home/EU or international, you should consult the university in which you are interested or the UKCISA website at www.ukcisa.org.uk."
I am confused whether my application will be ranked with international students or with Home/EU students. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Carshee)
Hi I need a quick help regarding UCAS application
I hold an Indian passport.
Date of first entry to UK- 2015
Nationality- Indian
Residential category- Since I did not fit into the main categories, I chose "others" and followed the Questions to determine your provisional status

Q1 Are you a UK or EU national or the direct descendant (child or grandchild) or the spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU national?
NO go to question 6

Q6 Are you an EU national or the direct descendant (child or grandchild) or the spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU national?
NO go to question 8
Q8 For any of that three year period, have you only been living in the EU, EEA, Switzerland or OT to receive full-time education?
NO code: EU national (non-UK citizen) (I selected NO because, I am a PBS dependent)
Hence, I selected EU national (non-UK citizen) in the residential category.
Now, I see in one of my choices "This course vacancy is for Home/EU applicants. If you are unsure whether your status is Home/EU or international, you should consult the university in which you are interested or the UKCISA website at www.ukcisa.org.uk."
I am confused whether my application will be ranked with international students or with Home/EU students. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What visa are you living in the uk with?

If you don’t have ILR then you’re likely to be classed as international.

Ukcisa has a helpline which is the best option if your situation is complicated.
Carshee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
What visa are you living in the uk with?

If you don’t have ILR then you’re likely to be classed as international.

Ukcisa has a helpline which is the best option if your situation is complicated.
I am a Tier 2 dependent and applying for ILR in Aug 2020 together with my mother. Before coming to UK, I was studying IGCSE in another EU country since 2012. I do understand that I will be an international for fee purpose, as I dont have ILR. Does this mean that I should not apply to Universities which don't have international places? I am very concerned because some of my UCAS choices dont have international places. Moreover, the number of places are too limited in other choices.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Carshee)
I am a Tier 2 dependent and applying for ILR in Aug 2020 together with my mother. Before coming to UK, I was studying IGCSE in another EU country since 2012. I do understand that I will be an international for fee purpose, as I dont have ILR. Does this mean that I should not apply to Universities which don't have international places? I am very concerned because some of my UCAS choices dont have international places. Moreover, the number of places are too limited in other choices.
I would recommend that you stick to universities with international places for now. I would also recommend that you plan in a gap year so that you can reapply for 2021 entry when your ILR is approved. You’d then normally be eligible for home fees and student finance as long as you have ILR and 3 years residency at the start of your degree.

It’s possible that you could get all that with a 2020 start but that puts a lot of pressure on you and your ILR application. Giving yourself a planned gap year allows for delays and means that your immigration status should be sorted out before you submit your application instead of changing after you apply.
Last edited by PQ; 1 week ago
Carshee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand. Thanks for the help.
Carshee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Completely agree with you. Thanks for the suggestion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads