ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are there any medicine related lectures in London that are for Year 12s at a SELECTIVE state school? All I can find are non selective ones which is quite vexing.
Thanks for the help
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Are there any medicine related lectures in London that are for Year 12s at a SELECTIVE state school? All I can find are non selective ones which is quite vexing.
Thanks for the help
If you are after lectures that are open to the public, sometimes before / during / after national (specialty) conferences there are open lectures that anyone can go to.
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
If you are after lectures that are open to the public, sometimes before / during / after national (specialty) conferences there are open lectures that anyone can go to.
What do you mean? Where could I learn more about this?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you mean? Where could I learn more about this?
What do you mean? I'll tell you about what I mean after you clarify your initial thread question.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
What do you mean? I'll tell you about what I mean after you clarify your inition thread question.
I think the OP was clear enough, but I’ll happily clarify if need be. What do you mean above when you said

I mean, where are these and how can I go to one. By the way thank you for responding
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the OP was clear enough, but I’ll happily clarify if need be. What do you mean above when you said...
Are there any medicine related lectures in London that are for Year 12s at a SELECTIVE state school?
Do you mean medical / scientific lectures for everyone, or lectures on tips on how to apply for Medicine / UCAT / BMAT etc.?

All I can find are non selective ones which is quite vexing...
I don't get why you couldn't go to the non-selective ones, do they check before you go? Are these held by the schools or other organisations?

I was referring to medical lectures for the interested layman, which of course you'll be welcome to go. But I didn't think you asked about that.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look at these - they are open lectures, anyone can go, and there are podcasts available of past lectures : https://www.gresham.ac.uk/attend/
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
Medical/ scientific ones with ones about new developments which would be especially useful.

Yeah, for those you need tickets for which you have to apply for. They ask for your school and my school doesn’t come up. They are just held by unis, eg. KCL

I would still like to go to those. However there are dedicated lectures just for Year 12 students might be connected to what we are learning some of which sound fascinating. I was wondering for any that were for any Year 12 students.
Despite this i would be very happy in any open lectures.

Do you mean medical / scientific lectures for everyone, or lectures on tips on how to apply for Medicine / UCAT / BMAT etc.?

I don't get why you couldn't go to the non-selective ones, do they check before you go? Are these held by the schools or other organisations?

I was referring to medical lectures for the interested layman, which of course you'll be welcome to go. But I didn't think you asked about that.
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Look at these - they are open lectures, anyone can go, and there are podcasts available of past lectures : https://www.gresham.ac.uk/attend/
Thank you so much
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Medical/ scientific ones with ones about new developments which would be especially useful.
Cool. The ones I was referring to are usually public / open lectures and they depend on where the conference is being held. In a bid to be seen as less London-centric most specialty conferences are held away from London, so it's hard you'll get them there.

For example see this from 2017: https://www.bna.org.uk/bna2017/public-programme/

Yeah, for those you need tickets for which you have to apply for. They ask for your school and my school doesn’t come up. They are just held by unis, eg. KCL

I would still like to go to those. However there are dedicated lectures just for Year 12 students might be connected to what we are learning some of which sound fascinating. I was wondering for any that were for any Year 12 students.
Despite this i would be very happy in any open lectures.
But if you can go to any lectures, that would be good. You don't have to go to medical conference ones - it's a bonus if you can find one and go. I think @returnmigrant has linked some general science ones which sounds interesting and there are some medical / biology lectures which would be useful to talk about at interviews (if you get one!!).
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
Cool. The ones I was referring to are usually public / open lectures and they depend on where the conference is being held. In a bid to be seen as less London-centric most specialty conferences are held away from London, so it's hard you'll get them there.

For example see this from 2017: https://www.bna.org.uk/bna2017/public-programme/

But if you can go to any lectures, that would be good. You don't have to go to medical conference ones - it's a bonus if you can find one and go. I think @returnmigrant has linked some general science ones which sounds interesting and there are some medical / biology lectures which would be useful to talk about at interviews (if you get one!!).
Oh, I see. Ok, and how would I link this to an interview though? Anyways, thank you very much.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh, I see. Ok, and how would I link this to an interview though? Anyways, thank you very much.
They may ask about your committment and you can talk about attending these lectures and learning new stuff (because all doctors have to keep themselves up-to-date). Who knows, you may get to know more than your lecturer if you go to enough of these!! :lol:
ThunderBeard
Rep:
?
They may ask about your committment and you can talk about attending these lectures and learning new stuff (because all doctors have to keep themselves up-to-date). Who knows, you may get to know more than your lecturer if you go to enough of these!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Now that would be interesting!
ferrus_manus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quick Q, I'm interested in the medical conferences but obviously the vast majority are catered for medical students/clinicians and typically charge a lot. Are there any conferences or symposia that are somewhere in the middle ground to allow an informed audience to attend for free whilst being able to learn about medicine/clinical sciences that would be beneficial for an aspiring med. student?

For example, we have a ton of scientific symposia for biomedical sciences that are held for free and completely open to the public whilst having full content science for this exactly this kind of outreach.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ferrus_manus)
Quick Q, I'm interested in the medical conferences but obviously the vast majority are catered for medical students
The vast majority are catered for clinicians. The medical student conferences are usually organised for medical students specifically.

/clinicians and typically charge a lot.
Correct - the proper conferences that you wanted to go to (e.g. this one: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6124108) will charge a cheaper rate but the rate covers junior doctors and students. So for the one I went to, if you didn't get a grant you'd have to pay €295 to register.

Note for consultants it can be up to €695!

Are there any conferences or symposia that are somewhere in the middle ground to allow an informed audience to attend for free whilst being able to learn about medicine/clinical sciences that would be beneficial for an aspiring med. student?
It would be the things I mentioned above - they are rare and you'd have to look out for them. It usually precedes or follows a proper medical conference, and is aimed at the local population. I went on an ABN meeting (Association of British Neurologists) a few years ago and there was a public meeting for the people of the city it was held in.

As I have mentioned to OP, while it may be beneficial to attend, not being able to go is expected (it is rare even for medical students to go to conferences, let alone pre-medical students). Remember that conferences are usually only held once a year, and they are all over the country!

For example, we have a ton of scientific symposia for biomedical sciences that are held for free and completely open to the public whilst having full content science for this exactly this kind of outreach.
Slightly different for Medicine I suppose, because the conferences may have medical information / prescribers' only details in the symposia!

e.g.

I doubt they'd let the public try out injecting Botox!!
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More podcasts :

Bath - http://feeds.bath.ac.uk/public-lecture-podcast
Oxford - https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/
Imperial - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/be-inspir...edia/podcasts/
BBC Science - https://www.sciencefocus.com/science...ence-podcasts/
ferrus_manus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Holy F, how do you guys let this sort of nonsense slide?

As a PhD graduate, the poshest early conference we have (~4 days, buffeted quality breakfast, lunches and posh dinners included with full program plus alcoholic beverages) is only ~£200.

As a question about the life of medical student that I hope is still relevant for this thread, so am I right in thinking that medical students are sponsored by some sort of clinical research group that they try to attach themselves to in order to get funding to attend a conference (e.g. do a research placement sufficient for a poster, and the PI pays out of a grant to have the student sent to a conference)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (645)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.62%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads