Jaqe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a student of English Literature, however, I've recently decided I'd really like to go down the Solicitor route in terms of careers. I've done some research into graduate conversion and I'm a bit confused, as my current course is set to conclude in 2021.

I've always thought that the course I would go on post-graduation would be the GDL, but I've seen the SQE is being introduced in 2021, and often comes up when researching the GDL.

Is the SQE something that is taken after completion of the GDL? Or does the SQE replace the GDL, and if you specifically want to be a solicitor, the SQE will be what you take in place of the GDL from 2021 onwards?

Thanks <3
Last edited by Jaqe; 4 months ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Jaqe)
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a student of English Literature, however, I've recently decided I'd really like to go down the Solicitor route in terms of careers. I've done some research into graduate conversion and I'm a bit confused, as my current course is set to conclude in 2021.

I've always thought that the course I would go on post-graduation would be the GDL, but I've seen the SQE is being introduced in 2021, and often comes up when researching the GDL.

Is the SQE something that is taken after completion of the GDL? Or does the SQE replace the GDL, and if you specifically want to be a solicitor, the SQE will be what you take in place of the GDL from 2021 onwards?

Thanks <3
The SQE is going to replace the GDL for people wishing to become solicitors, but there's not much clear information on it at the moment. For a few years, it is likely that the two systems will run together so people can choose which one to follow.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Jaqe)
Hey everyone!

Thanks <3
You will have a choice if you are self-funding. The indication is that each firm which is funding intends to make a hard switch, not necessarily in year 1 of the SQE
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have been looking into 2020 GDLs (the year before you) and they are the transitional year./

My understanding is that 2020 was going to be the start of SQE but it was put back to 2021. BPP have issued their new pGDL with changes to reflect the SQE starting 2020 and they are not continuing with their current GDL. However they say for 2020 starters they can then take the LPC the year after and qualify via the existing route. So that is 2020 and not relevant to you.
Moving on to 2021 as far as I undersand the rules if you have started a GDL or law degree before 2021 then you can continue to go the existing route. In my vgiew is you will have to go under the new route - that doesn't really matter and if you find a law firm to sponsor you they will tell you where to study in many cases and pay. See "Anyone who starts a law degree, GDL or LPC before the SQE is introduced in 2021 should not be affected unless they choose to be. There will be a long transition period of several years from 2021 in which candidates who are already on one of the former courses will be able to qualify as solicitors in the ‘old’ way." https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/F...we-know-so-far

It is possbile the 2021 start will be put back later again as they have not even trialled the SQE2 exams yet.

However at present I suspect you would be the first year obliged to take SQE1 and SQE2.
To that end I believe you probably would still go somewhere like BPP whose new pGDL is 2 terms long (from 2020). Then I am not sure when SAQE1 exams are taken hopefully in the summer term after but with a different institution and Kaplan marks them. Then the next Autumn you would probably start an LPC type course to prepare for SQE2 and then do 2 years qualifying work experience i.e. a training contract as now for the bigger firms. However they can start you sooner working even before you have studied any law which sounds very dangerous to me - Deliottes have announced a scheme where people will be training and studying at the same time instead of doing the LPC.

In my view in year 2 of your degree apply for paid vacation schemes with law firms for Easter or summer of your 2nd year of degree. Then Autumn of 3rd year of your degree apply for training contracts and if you get one the firm will tell you waht to do to qualify. If you don't get a TC (or qualifying work experience or whatevr they are going to call them) then you might well still want to take say the BPP dGDL new course for non law graduates to learn material you will need to pass SQE1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?