Clubbing with social anxiety Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So scared, I said I’m going out tonight with my university flatmates but I’m shy and never party... I’m at university and this is my second day, one of my flatmates is blasting out loud music and I’m terrified in my room. I don’t drink alcohol, I’ve tried but I’m just not a fan, but this flatmate has so much alcohol with him! That’s fine of course but I’m scared he might judge me if I say i don’t drink, what if he tries to pressure me into drinking? My flat is going to this club and I don’t know how I’ll manage... I said I’d go, I have tried so hard not look antisocial. But this might be a bit much for me. People everywhere, crowds, drunk creepy guys, people kissing and stuff... I will not fit in at all! I can’t say I won’t go, first impressions count. If I say I changed my mind that would be like social suicide. This is freshers week... I have to go but I’m scared help!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't feel pressured into drinking or clubbing. If you don't want to go you don't have to, and its uni, they won't judge you for not going (and if they do they are jerks you don't need in your life)

There should be plenty of fresher events that don't revolve around drinking or clubbing too
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Above made a good point. Also think about your goals from this

Are you trying to lose/reduce your social anxiety? Doing things like going out of your comfort zone (clubbing, maybe not drinking) gradually and consistently can see decent results.

If you’re trying to make friends? You can make friends from societies and course etc. There are people that don’t get along with flatmates but have lifelong relations with society mates.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
So scared, I said I’m going out tonight with my university flatmates but I’m shy and never party... I’m at university and this is my second day, one of my flatmates is blasting out loud music and I’m terrified in my room. I don’t drink alcohol, I’ve tried but I’m just not a fan, but this flatmate has so much alcohol with him! That’s fine of course but I’m scared he might judge me if I say i don’t drink, what if he tries to pressure me into drinking? My flat is going to this club and I don’t know how I’ll manage... I said I’d go, I have tried so hard not look antisocial. But this might be a bit much for me. People everywhere, crowds, drunk creepy guys, people kissing and stuff... I will not fit in at all! I can’t say I won’t go, first impressions count. If I say I changed my mind that would be like social suicide. This is freshers week... I have to go but I’m scared help!
So I went to the club and surprised myself, it was actually really fun and for someone with social anxiety I was pretty open! It wasn’t too crowded, I just danced in a circle with some of my flatmates and to start with it was really awkward dancing but by the end I just let go and had a great time. The songs were good so I was singing along, it was so loud I didn’t have to talk to anyone so that was great, I just danced, sang and hadn’t fun. I’m glad I tried this and plucked up the courage to go, for the first time I actually didn’t feel really awkward and isolated. I felt more myself, so I guess I quite like clubbing now!
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So I went to the club and surprised myself, it was actually really fun and for someone with social anxiety I was pretty open! It wasn’t too crowded, I just danced in a circle with some of my flatmates and to start with it was really awkward dancing but by the end I just let go and had a great time. The songs were good so I was singing along, it was so loud I didn’t have to talk to anyone so that was great, I just danced, sang and hadn’t fun. I’m glad I tried this and plucked up the courage to go, for the first time I actually didn’t feel really awkward and isolated. I felt more myself, so I guess I quite like clubbing now!
I was gonna say, social anxiety was never really an issue with clubbing for me, because it doesn't strike me as a particularly social activity. But hey, maybe I'm doing it wrong :rolleyes:
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This was posted 3 hours ago? How did you manage to go clubbing? Glad it went well though
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
This was posted 3 hours ago? How did you manage to go clubbing? Glad it went well though
Not from the UK, presumably.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Just go and drink tbh, what's the worst thing that can happen? Just take this chance and be a little social, if you drink you will feel more social.
Daniel.Scribbler
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I also have social anxiety, it especially torments me when I'm about to do something involving people... however, similarly to your situation, after the activity begins, I'm becoming more relaxed and I'm gradually breaking this ice within me. I still don't hang out with each and every one. I need to have a circle of common interests and simply feel comfortable around others, then I can reveal my cheerful and sociable side. As an introvert, you can also peacefully coexist among extroverts. It's just essential that socializing doesn't bring you negative emotions, if it does, then you're simply not with Your company. University life can completely transform you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Daniel.Scribbler)
I also have social anxiety, it especially torments me when I'm about to do something involving people... however, similarly to your situation, after the activity begins, I'm becoming more relaxed and I'm gradually breaking this ice within me. I still don't hang out with each and every one. I need to have a circle of common interests and simply feel comfortable around others, then I can reveal my cheerful and sociable side. As an introvert, you can also peacefully coexist among extroverts. It's just essential that socializing doesn't bring you negative emotions, if it does, then you're simply not with Your company. University life can completely transform you.
Yeah I formed a little circle with a few flatmates and just stuck with them at the club, and after a while I really did manage to show some of my more sociable cheerful side! Still extremely shy around everyone but clubbing is actually helping me break the ice. Before the club I was shaking I was so scared, but when I got there all the anxiety just faded and I gradually became more and more comfortable just dancing and enjoying the atmosphere. There’s another club tonight and I’m terrified once again, but I know when I get there I’ll probably be fine like last time, social anxiety just makes me overthink everything to the extreme but when reality hits in I’m fine! Tonight should be fun but there’s still anxiety, I can’t wait to just get there so the fear will just disappear tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads