The Student Room Group

STUDENT FINANCE HELP after 2 years of studying

Hi,

Please can somebody kindly give me some advice, I have been reading some guidance online but it doesn't seem to apply to my circumstances.

What's the funding condition if a student has studied (full-time) for two years (foundation course) but didn't achieve a full foundation degree certificate hence unable to proceed to a full BA degree. Only received an award of higher education. Now, want to study a foundation degree course on a different subject. It's actually a BA course which is 3 years but starting with foundation degree.

Would there be some student funding help so can finally hopefully finish and achieve a degree.

Many thanks in advance
The rules go:
Length of new course (3 years) + 1 gift year - previous years of study (2 years) = remaining years funding (2 years).

Unfunded years means no tuition fee loan - you still get a maintenance loan. And unfunded years are always at the start.

If you start a new 3 year degree in first year then you won’t get a tuition fee loan for that year but you will in second and third year.

If you start a new 3 year degree in second year then you’ll get a tuition fee loan for both second and third year.

You’ll get a maintenance loan for all years.
Original post by love2study19
Hi,

Please can somebody kindly give me some advice, I have been reading some guidance online but it doesn't seem to apply to my circumstances.

What's the funding condition if a student has studied (full-time) for two years (foundation course) but didn't achieve a full foundation degree certificate hence unable to proceed to a full BA degree. Only received an award of higher education. Now, want to study a foundation degree course on a different subject. It's actually a BA course which is 3 years but starting with foundation degree.

Would there be some student funding help so can finally hopefully finish and achieve a degree.

Many thanks in advance

Hi there,

So does your new course have three or four academic years?

Regards,
Nihad
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

So does your new course have three or four academic years?

Regards,
Nihad

Hi Nihad,

Thank you. The new course is a three year (BA final year) but some students have an option to just complete the foundation years but should they wish to do so then can carry on to do the BA final year. I haven't got any degree qualification yet as I only managed to pass my level 4 (previous course) due to illness/mental health issue I struggled with the second year of previous course. This new course the uni is working to also get it listed under Alliance of Health practitioner course but since its new course they've not had time to do it. I would very much appreciate your advise please as I'm feeling so stressed with pressure from uni asking me about student loan funding. Thank you in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi Nihad,

Thank you. The new course is a three year (BA final year) but some students have an option to just complete the foundation years but should they wish to do so then can carry on to do the BA final year. I haven't got any degree qualification yet as I only managed to pass my level 4 (previous course) due to illness/mental health issue I struggled with the second year of previous course. This new course the uni is working to also get it listed under Alliance of Health practitioner course but since its new course they've not had time to do it. I would very much appreciate your advise please as I'm feeling so stressed with pressure from uni asking me about student loan funding. Thank you in advance.

Sorry just to add, when I submitted my form online, there was insufficient space for me to explain what happened during my previous studies but I just managed to type a short sentence to explain it. What else do I need to do? I never had to do this before so unsure as to what to do. Uni is not much help all they're interested is that they get their money.
Sorry just to add, when I submitted my form online, there was insufficient space for me to explain what happened during my previous studies but I just managed to type a short sentence to explain it. What else do I need to do? I never had to do this before so unsure as to what to do. Uni is not much help all they're interested is that they get their money.

Hello,

What subject is the three year BA they're trying to get listed as a Allied Health Professional (AHP) course?

Just to confirm, this won't be a 2 year foundation degree course with an option of a 1 year top up course? It will be a 3 year BA (Hons) from the beginning?

Do they offer a part time option?

You can read about Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) here:

Going back to uni and CPR Practitioners - http://ow.ly/OqYL30oTRak
Going Bbck to uni and CPR Student Room - http://ow.ly/RqVS30oTRcg

You'll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is from a professional person containing the following:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be reviewed and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from the university/college on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from a professional person on headed paper

Warm Regards, Dean.
Original post by SFE Dean
Hello,

What subject is the three year BA they're trying to get listed as a Allied Health Professional (AHP) course?

Just to confirm, this won't be a 2 year foundation degree course with an option of a 1 year top up course? It will be a 3 year BA (Hons) from the beginning?

Do they offer a part time option?

You can read about Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) here:

Going back to uni and CPR Practitioners - http://ow.ly/OqYL30oTRak
Going Bbck to uni and CPR Student Room - http://ow.ly/RqVS30oTRcg

You'll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is from a professional person containing the following:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be reviewed and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from the university/college on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from a professional person on headed paper

Warm Regards, Dean.

Hi Dean,

Thank you so much. Is it possible I could send you a message private inbox on here? Kind regards
Hi Dean,

Thank you so much. Is it possible I could send you a message private inbox on here? Kind regards

Hi there,
You can send us a private message on Facebook http://m.me/SFEngland or Twitter http://ow.ly/4Em330nPlau.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,
You can send us a private message on Facebook http://m.me/SFEngland or Twitter http://ow.ly/4Em330nPlau.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac,

Thank you. Will check the private messenger. Just out of interest, can student finance write a letter of confirmation to uni perhaps just to say you are looking into the student's application etc and to give a bit more time. Reason I'm asking , uni is putting a lot pressure asking for the fees etc, saying why is this not done etc. I thought they'll be a bit more supportive but it sounds like they just want to hear that they're going to get paid tomorrow or might as well quit studying. They don't want to know anything else which is very disappointing. When they talk to you, it sounds like you're being punished as if you've done them wrong ha,ha. It makes you feel like giving up. Sorry for the moan.
Hi Isaac,

Thank you. Will check the private messenger. Just out of interest, can student finance write a letter of confirmation to uni perhaps just to say you are looking into the student's application etc and to give a bit more time. Reason I'm asking , uni is putting a lot pressure asking for the fees etc, saying why is this not done etc. I thought they'll be a bit more supportive but it sounds like they just want to hear that they're going to get paid tomorrow or might as well quit studying. They don't want to know anything else which is very disappointing. When they talk to you, it sounds like you're being punished as if you've done them wrong ha,ha. It makes you feel like giving up. Sorry for the moan.

Hi we don't normally provide a letter of confirmation until the application is approved and then we send an entitlement letter. As an exception, I'm happy to do this for you. If you privately message us on Twitter or Facebook and then PM me here on the student room to let me know what name you used to message us with, then I can find our message and respond to you privately on Twitter or Facebook and we can go from there :smile:

Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending