dan1011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My supervisor is very harsh in grading. This year all my marks range between 50 and 65. However, this supervisor marked my literature review and gave me 30 and marked my project and also gave me 30.
I had corrected everything she told me when I made my draft. Then she finds something new and fails me on it. Is this fair? I feel gutted that I failed my masters because of her.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you complained to the university? You should be able to request a remarking.
dan1011
Rep:
?
I appealed why all other examiners gave me marks between 50 and 65 while this particular examiner always 30. But I didn't win the appeal because my university policy (Strathclyde uni) is that you can't appeal a low mark. Once you get it, that's you.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dan1011)
My supervisor is very harsh in grading. This year all my marks range between 50 and 65. However, this supervisor marked my literature review and gave me 30 and marked my project and also gave me 30.
I had corrected everything she told me when I made my draft. Then she finds something new and fails me on it. Is this fair? I feel gutted that I failed my masters because of her.
Have you requested feedback on the assignments which were awarded 30? Not to sound harsh, but marks of around 50 aren't particularly great for master's level work (50 is only just a pass after all), so it's not like there is that much of a huge disparity between your other marks and the marks awarded by your supervisor.
dan1011
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Have you requested feedback on the assignments which were awarded 30? Not to sound harsh, but marks of around 50 aren't particularly great for master's level work (50 is only just a pass after all), so it's not like there is that much of a huge disparity between your other marks and the marks awarded by your supervisor.
Let's be honest. She was being harsh deliberately to show that she is a top grader and a good observer. She doesn't think that she has destroyed someone's future. All she cares for is what people think of her. Not all my marks are 50. My marks range between 50 and 67. She just a nitpicker. I'm sad that I thought she was a nice person.

My worst assignment ever has received a grade of 45. This particular marker is an absolute evil.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Let's be honest. She was being harsh deliberately to show that she is a top grader and a good observer. She doesn't think that she has destroyed someone's future. All she cares for is what people think of her. Not all my marks are 50. My marks range between 50 and 67. She just a nitpicker. I'm sad that I thought she was a nice person.

My worst assignment ever has received a grade of 45. This particular marker is an absolute evil.
Unless you have proof that she marked you unfairly and did so maliciously or for inappropriate reasons, then you don't have a leg to stand on sadly. She would have had to provide feedback, so other markers would have concurred.
dan1011
Rep:
?
Unless you have proof that she marked you unfairly and did so maliciously or for inappropriate reasons, then you don't have a leg to stand on sadly. She would have had to provide feedback, so other markers would have concurred.
We don't always have to go by what the book says. Sometimes we need to use our common sense. In the end, we are all human being, right? When ur marks are all pass, but only one particular person always fails your assignments. Doesn't that look odd? Imagine this was you, your future.. would you not question it?
dan1011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lwajura)
Grand master is higher than master in overwatch anyway, so dont beat yourself up about it
Thank you for trying to help me feel better, but all this time and effort I put went unvalued... I'm more upset on that matter rather than the actual fail
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We don't always have to go by what the book says. Sometimes we need to use our common sense. In the end, we are all human being, right? When ur marks are all pass, but only one particular person always fails your assignments. Doesn't that look odd? Imagine this was you, your future.. would you not question it?
Unfortunately, universities will be required to use a marking rubric for each assignment. If you don't meet the criteria for a certain mark, they won't be able to give it to you. You haven't really told us what feedback the lecturer gave you, so I'm guessing that you don't agree with what's been given. All assignments are different in structure/content etc., so maybe you just didn't do as well in those assignments or in that topic. It happens. I know it's disappointing (I've been in a similar situation in the past), and you want to look for someone to blame, but it's best to try and accept it.
dan1011
Rep:
?
Unfortunately, universities will be required to use a marking rubric for each assignment. If you don't meet the criteria for a certain mark, they won't be able to give it to you. You haven't really told us what feedback the lecturer gave you, so I'm guessing that you don't agree with what's been given. All assignments are different in structure/content etc., so maybe you just didn't do as well in those assignments or in that topic. It happens. I know it's disappointing (I've been in a similar situation in the past), and you want to look for someone to blame, but it's best to try and accept it.
I don't know why you seem so much on the side of the marker despite me telling you that all my marks range between 50 -67 and I have never got a mark under 40 in my life. A staff member in the science department did say to me to be very careful from this supervisor she is known to be a harsh grader and difficult, but I didn't believe her.. I was like you now, telling her what you are telling me.
This particular marker is actually a marker for other experts. She goes on peer-reviewed articles on websites like natures and mark journals. So my work to her no matters how good it is, going to be rubbish.
And no, I don't blame her.. I have failed stuff before & I accepted. but when I see something wrong, I question it. As I said you don't have to always go by the book. Use ur common sense.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know why you seem so much on the side of the marker despite me telling you that all my marks range between 50 -67 and I have never got a mark under 40 in my life. A staff member in the science department did say to me to be very careful from this supervisor she is known to be a harsh grader and difficult, but I didn't believe her.. I was like you now, telling her what you are telling me.
This particular marker is actually a marker for other experts. She goes on peer-reviewed articles on websites like natures and mark journals. So my work to her no matters how good it is, going to be rubbish.
And no, I don't blame her.. I have failed stuff before & I accepted. but when I see something wrong, I question it. As I said you don't have to always go by the book. Use ur common sense.
I understand that you are frustrated, but as you have had an appeal rejected, there is nothing more you can do about it now. Has your university offered you capped resits of the assignments? Did they offer you an exit qualification like PGDip?
dan1011
Rep:
?
I understand that you are frustrated, but as you have had an appeal rejected, there is nothing more you can do about it now. Has your university offered you capped resits of the assignments? Did they offer you an exit qualification like PGDip?
They offered me to resubmit the thesis an to contact her to arrange meeting to discuss the feedback, but she's not replying. It's been three days now. I can see her true colours now. I still don't know what the feedback is it's been almost 3 weeks now.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They offered me to resubmit the thesis an to contact her to arrange meeting to discuss the feedback, but she's not replying. It's been three days now. I can see her true colours now. I still don't know what the feedback is it's been almost 3 weeks now.
A new semester has only just started, so all academic staff will be very busy. You may need to wait a few more days, or call your department's admin people and ask if they can liaise with her to arrange a meeting if she leaves it too long.

How did you receive your mark if you didn't also receive feedback at the same time?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Consider that you are a professor who now has to deal with a person who is acting how you are, would you put them at the top of your priority list? Would you even feel safe meeting them?

Dissertations are a far cry from other work in an MSc, it's not unusual for people to get much lower or much higher marks in their diss compared to the rest of the courses. I don't believe that she was marking you horrendously harshly as from what you're describing she's a relatively experienced academic and has handled dissertation marking before, if she was doing it too harshly then that would be corrected very quickly by the university. The people who do badly on their diss tend to either not pay enough attention to it, don't meet with their supervisor as often as they should, have mitigating circumstances, or get caught out after an academic moves from a top, research intensive university to somewhere which doesn't expect the same rigour in their dissertations.
dan1011
Rep:
?
A new semester has only just started, so all academic staff will be very busy. You may need to wait a few more days, or call your department's admin people and ask if they can liaise with her to arrange a meeting if she leaves it too long.

How did you receive your mark if you didn't also receive feedback at the same time?
I already emailed twice so I'm not going to message again . They sent me email telling me I failed and i need to contact her to arrange a meeting to go over through what I need to resubmit. I was given a total mark but no feedback.
dan1011
Rep:
?

I already emailed twice last week so I'm not going to message again. They sent me email telling me I failed and i need to contact her to arrange a meeting to go over through what I need to resubmit. I was given a total mark but no feedback.
dan1011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Consider that you are a professor who now has to deal with a person who is acting how you are, would you put them at the top of your priority list? Would you even feel safe meeting them?

Dissertations are a far cry from other work in an MSc, it's not unusual for people to get much lower or much higher marks in their diss compared to the rest of the courses. I don't believe that she was marking you horrendously harshly as from what you're describing she's a relatively experienced academic and has handled dissertation marking before, if she was doing it too harshly then that would be corrected very quickly by the university. The people who do badly on their diss tend to either not pay enough attention to it, don't meet with their supervisor as often as they should, have mitigating circumstances, or get caught out after an academic moves from a top, research intensive university to somewhere which doesn't expect the same rigour in their dissertations.
To answer your question... if I am a professor, then my priority is helping all students no matter whether they passed or failed. Professors get paid thousands; it's not like it's free of charge service. And guess what? They are getting paid from my TAX

Now let's imagine that it is you the one who failed not me. And you have a list of all your marks. This list shows that all your scores range between 50 and 67. and just two of them are 30. You notice the same marker marked those two marks of 30. You also remember that you got told by others before that this marker is harsh grader.
So you ask yourself, Why did you receive this despite making the same effort?
Harsh graders do exist. Google them. and I wish that you get one of them one day, so you understand what I mean. You won't know until you get one.
I did fail before you know, but I accepted it. However, this particular marker is a nitpicker. Oh... Nitpickers do exist too. I really hope you meet a few soon.
Until then, keep defending them.

Good luck
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok, so I get that you're frustrated with the whole situation, but whether you want to hear it or not, this is not down to a harsh marker. I used to teach at university level until very recently so know the system. Firstly, your dissertation is unlikely to have been marked by this one supervisor. Dissertations are usually double marked and the two markers agree a mark between them. It is therefore likely that this happened with your dissertation meaning that you cannot blame your supervisor for this. Secondly, marks are moderated internally and externally before being released to students (and sometimes afterwards as well). Since the moderation process will have most likely already occurred, that mark, being so low, will have almost certainly been checked by your department and agreed upon, so again your supervisor is not being harsh. Thirdly, your mark seems to be right based on your other marks. As Phoenix has pointed out, some of your marks were barely passes. If you're getting those marks on shorter assignments, then it's highly likely you'd get lower on an extended piece of work. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the whole harsh supervisor line. Marks are rigorously checked and actually often upgraded unfairly, so I'd actually engage with the university and what they're asking you to do instead of railing against the system and your supervisor.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To answer your question... if I am a professor, then my priority is helping all students no matter whether they passed or failed. Professors get paid thousands; it's not like it's free of charge service. And guess what? They are getting paid from my TAX

Now let's imagine that it is you the one who failed not me. And you have a list of all your marks. This list shows that all your scores range between 50 and 67. and just two of them are 30. You notice the same marker marked those two marks of 30. You also remember that you got told by others before that this marker is harsh grader.
So you ask yourself, Why did you receive this despite making the same effort?
Harsh graders do exist. Google them. and I wish that you get one of them one day, so you understand what I mean. You won't know until you get one.
I did fail before you know, but I accepted it. However, this particular marker is a nitpicker. Oh... Nitpickers do exist too. I really hope you meet a few soon.
Until then, keep defending them.

Good luck
You're thinking in a way which is biased towards yourself and very entitled. Teaching UG and PGT students is a very small part of a professor's job, for many it isn't even a part of their job, and the more successful you are as a professor, the more likely that's true. The amount of their pay which comes from taxes is minuscule, and on the long list of people you need to pay back from every public expense you've incurred since birth they are very, very far down unless you're 40 years old and middle class.

I'm not going to respond to the rest as I've already told you the situation, you just don't want to listen because you want to shift the blame to someone other than yourself.

I've also met plenty of nitpickers, they're often the people who bring our research up to a higher standard, I don't worry about them because I learn from them and beat them. Even the most asinine of academic advice has its place.

Realise that in this forum you're mostly talking to PhD students or graduates who are intimately familiar with the process and have a lot more experience with it than you do before trying to say we're wrong.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by toronto353)
Firstly, your dissertation is unlikely to have been marked by this one supervisor. Dissertations are usually double marked and the two markers agree a mark between them.
In addition most universities will automatically complete a third marking if the two markers disagree significantly. Supervisors also don't want to fail their own students because it makes them feel bad and look bad, it's not a power trip to see someone you've tried to help do badly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.65%
No (184)
76.35%

Watched Threads