The Student Room Group

Want to Apply to foundation med after an awful UCAT

Completed my UCAT today, scored 605 with a Band 4. My Grades are ABB in Biology, chemistry and physics respectively. i have enough contextual factors but i do not know if they apply in this situation. I want to apply to foundation med at Bristol, Southampton, Leicester and Dundee. What are the likelihoods that i may get considered?
Reply 1
Hello there!

Firstly, I want to assure you your grades and UCAT are still very much awesome achievements, they are still amazing achievements, even if they are not want you were hoping forI am afraid I can only really advise on Dundee, but I will also try and give you some general advice too.

For Dundee, I believe the combination of your UCAT and academic score, regretfully will not be enough to make the interview cutoff. It may be an idea to consider a widening access schemes, if you are applicable. My understanding is that the extended access scheme for Dundee is very much for the local area. I've attached their website which shows a little bit about the scheme. For Dundee Medical School the scheme is called "Reach."
https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/widening-access/in-demand/reach/

In these situations, I often would advise considering taking a year out, reapplying with your A2's and then you have another bite at the cherry for the UCAT. Bear in mind, spend some time investigating if you qualify for any of the widening access scheme for medical schools near where you live.

My best bit of advice is to directly call the admission office of each of these schools and explain your situation to the school. They often will be able to give you an idea what they think is possible with your exams grades and UCAT.

Please don't lose focus or be disheartened. Everyone in medicine will come up against adversity. I myself didn't get in the first time, due to an awful UCAT. Don't give up!

S.K.T.

Original post by hnk3840
Completed my UCAT today, scored 605 with a Band 4. My Grades are ABB in Biology, chemistry and physics respectively. i have enough contextual factors but i do not know if they apply in this situation. I want to apply to foundation med at Bristol, Southampton, Leicester and Dundee. What are the likelihoods that i may get considered?

Quick Reply