Do English people have a lower chance of getting into a Scottish medical school? Watch

SudanesePrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I don't know if I'm being stupid but do the recent changes by the SNP party mean that there are a fixed amount of places allocated for Scottish students at the expense of students from the rest of the UK? Would this make picking a Scottish university more risky than an English one?

eg. https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...pply/procedure

Notice there are fewer places available for English, Welsh etc.

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

Mogtasid,
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SudanesePrince)
I don't know if I'm being stupid but do the recent changes by the SNP party mean that there are a fixed amount of places allocated for Scottish students at the expense of students from the rest of the UK? Would this make picking a Scottish university more risky than an English one?

eg. https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...pply/procedure

Notice there are fewer places available for English, Welsh etc.

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

Mogtasid,
In the past few years, the RUK places have had slightly lower competition ratios than the home/eu ones, so in reality this probably will just even it up. But if you are a RUK applicant it's worth taking into account, particularly for Dundee and Aberdeen which have low RUK places.
SudanesePrince
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
In the past few years, the RUK places have had slightly lower competition ratios than the home/eu ones, so in reality this probably will just even it up. But if you are a RUK applicant it's worth taking into account, particularly for Dundee and Aberdeen which have low RUK places.
Ah, thank you. I'm thinking of applying to Glasgow, but I don't want to waste a choice on a Scottish medical school if I would have better chances applying to an English one.
SudanesePrince
Rep:
?
I was also wondering, what would happen if I got into a Scottish university and a second referendum happened, that lead to independance?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was also wondering, what would happen if I got into a Scottish university and a second referendum happened, that lead to independance?
I don't know how anyone would know the answer to that question.

Presumably there will be some sort of an agreement that allowed doctors from Scotland to work in England and vice versa. I assume the NHS will survive the independence in Scotland as well.

Worst case scenario - assume it's going to be like a doctor who graduated from France / another EU country wanting to work in England.

Best case / most likely scenario - nothing will change (the GMC has called the final year exam UKMLA after all - all med students will have to take it before graduating, English / Scottish / Welsh and Northern Irish).
SudanesePrince
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I don't know how anyone would know the answer to that question.

Presumably there will be some sort of an agreement that allowed doctors from Scotland to work in England and vice versa. I assume the NHS will survive the independence in Scotland as well.

Worst case scenario - assume it's going to be like a doctor who graduated from France / another EU country wanting to work in England.

Best case / most likely scenario - nothing will change (the GMC has called the final year exam UKMLA after all - all med students will have to take it before graduating, English / Scottish / Welsh and Northern Irish).
I'm not too concerned about working in Scotland, just finishing the degree without incident. Surely there would be a guarantee that all English students finish their degrees, then a grace period before returning to England or something.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not too concerned about working in Scotland, just finishing the degree without incident. Surely there would be a guarantee that all English students finish their degrees, then a grace period before returning to England or something.
Yes, you would think so...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads